Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice buying my first Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

Default Need advice buying my first Mustang GT

Hi Everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for a while and there is a ton of information here and very helpful people! I'm looking forward to being on here even more often when I buy my first Mustang GT convertable in vista blue. I'm looking for some advice for buying one:

I'm considering a few options:

1. Buy a used 2005-2006 Mustang GT - I'm wondering if there are more common issues with the 05's due to the new model release etc. As for features, I'm interested to see what's changed between 05 and 07 if anyone knows. Given high interest rates right now, buying used doesn't seem so logical...

2. Buy a new 2007 Mustang GT - Right now in Ontario there's 0% financing on 07 GT's so having no interest on the Pony would be awesome.

3. Buy a new 2008 Mustang GT - They're 2.9% financing, and have the cool interior lighting and HID's...what do you guys think about the new features...any 08 owners out there?

Is there a list somewhere of the feature changes between 05 and 08?

I'd like some feedback on my questions if possible....and also if you know if there's some common issues for a particular year if I should stay away.

Cheers,

pitpony
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need advice buying my first Mustang GT

I'd go w/ the '07 if they give you a heck of a deal on the price as well, and if you can find the color, etc. you like. I highly recommend the interior upgrade package. Remember, these are now year-old models.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:25 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

remember to buy a 5spd
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I just bought my 07 about a month ago. You can get a really good deal on the 07'sbecause they need to move them off the lots. Lets just say that I could sell mine now or trade it in and make money on it and I didn't put down a dime.

If you can find one you like, go for it.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

Just buy a used 2005 saleen 3 valve for about 30-35k
Old 10-14-2007, 07:48 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I'd pass on used if it were me. The best deals going now are for the leftover 07's. If you can find a 5-speed manual GT with Interior Upgrade Package I'd grab it fast. You'll be several thousand $$ ahead for the same thing in an 08.

Good luck and welcome to the Mustang family

Old 10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

wow thanks for the replies everyone! I forgot to mention 5 spd is manditory With the 08's all I'd miss that I've seen is the interior light schemes (which I assume I could put led's in for 1 scheme)and the HID's (which I'm sure I can put in later if need be).

Some great points, I'll call my sales rep this week.

Does anyone have any tips on negotiating some good prices? I missed out on the family pricing earlier this year, but maybe I can get a few k's off the price if I'm lucky but some tips would be great. I haven't seen one I like on the lot though, so it would probably need to be ordered in, which may hurt my chances of a deal?

Cheers.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponypit

wow thanks for the replies everyone! I forgot to mention 5 spd is manditory With the 08's all I'd miss that I've seen is the interior light schemes (which I assume I could put led's in for 1 scheme)and the HID's (which I'm sure I can put in later if need be).

Some great points, I'll call my sales rep this week.

Does anyone have any tips on negotiating some good prices? I missed out on the family pricing earlier this year, but maybe I can get a few k's off the price if I'm lucky but some tips would be great. I haven't seen one I like on the lot though, so it would probably need to be ordered in, which may hurt my chances of a deal?

Cheers.
You should be able to get a new 07 GT, 5-speed, Interior Upgrade Pkg, 18" upgrade wheels and GT Appearance Pkg. for around $25,000 + tt. Without the 18" wheels you should be around $24,250. That's the going rate in FL now. Start you negotiations around $23,500 - $24,000
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
ponypit
1st Gear Member

thanks for the reply cavediver - I forgot to mention I'm in Ontario, so they retail around 37-42k.

With the price of the Canadian dollar now even with the US, nobody up here can figure out why we're getting owned on the prices of new cars.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:25 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

07 gt

Quick Reply: Need advice buying my first Mustang GT