Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for turbo advice...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for turbo advice...

ORIGINAL: Stage4

i'm using the Hellion and love it. Meekstro is right about the ground clearance, it's a huge misconception. The tubing under the a-arms has NEVER rubbed on mine. Think about it - it's right next to your wheel, when the wheel hits a high spot, it goes up little as the suspension compresses, but NOT enough to rub that pipe. It would have to go up like 6", and then you'd have bigger problems. Now, i DO have bottoming problems, but they're actually because I'm running SLP's as mid-mufflers and they rub on speed bumps since they are in the middle of the car (no wheels are raised when going over the bumps), but never the tubing by the k-member. I just looked at everything the other day, not a single scrape on those tubes. The only thing i hate about my kit is access to the oil filter is kind of a pain, especially if it's overtightened. Oh, and the fact that i didn't get a 76mm to begin with. I think there are a lot of good kits on the market, but i went with Hellion because Brenspeed is close and I knew i had someone familiar close by. That's worth WAY more than saving a couple hundred dollars or getting a kit that's a little bit better (or so you think). Trying to work out turbo issues over the phone can be a nightmare. Best luck to you
Yes but you are forgetting something a basic hellion kit costs around 6k and it comes base with the 62mm turbonetics turbo not a garret turbo. Issue or not the lowest part of the kit is a the turbo piping. I have already gone over a shaved truck tired thread on the highway and it busted my lower bumper wouldn't imagine what would happen if I had that kit. Also it cradles the oil pan with hot tubing if I am not mistaken.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 05:13 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

Ill tell youwhat would happen in most cases.....nothing. I have already donethat too. A Truck in front of me ran over a huge piece of semi tireand through it up then I hit it. It went under the front of my car and shot out the driver side. Knocked out the lower blackgrille on my lower bumper. Dude the pipes are on so tight its gonna take more than that. As far as the turbos go. That is just preference more than anything. Some people say garret is the best and some people like turbonetics. Garret has been around forever that is their biggest advantage. Garrets tend to flow more air but turbonetics are thought to spool slightly faster so I have read.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

i've hit things too. no issues. the piping is nice and tight, really not hanging out there to get ripped off or anything. I don't think it cradles the oil pan either. In any case, turbos require more piping under the car in some way, so you're going to increase the chances of somethings. Don't like that, get a whipple, i'll admit there are days i wish i would have. but i'm sure if i had a whipple, there are days i wish i had a turbo. Sucks that i can't afford 2 cars! and I paid like $5400 for my kit, maybe less, I can't remember, since i had the tuner. Not bad deal for having someone (and someone exceptional) locally to tune it.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I went with Turbonetics
Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Eric261
2nd Gear Member

Is there a brand that makes turbo kits that uses an oil bearing instead of a ball bearing like the turbonetics kit?