Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing the stang for over a year - What do I do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:50 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Storing the stang for over a year - What do I do??

Fogging the engine with marine fogging oil is a good idea too. It will coat the valves & cylinder walls to prevent corosion from condensation & humidity. Just pull fuel pump fuse & have someone crank it over while you spray it in the throttle body. It will smoke like mad when you get back but its good smoke. I do it to marine engines every winter & they sit for a while.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
HDFINDER47
1st Gear Member

Sell it and buy a brand new model when you get back. Godspeed.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:33 AM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Fogging the engine with marine fogging oil is a good idea too. It will coat the valves & cylinder walls to prevent corosion from condensation & humidity. Just pull fuel pump fuse & have someone crank it over while you spray it in the throttle body. It will smoke like mad when you get back but its good smoke. I do it to marine engines every winter & they sit for a while.
Marine fogging oil is great for carb equipped engines, ( I use it on my bike,mower etc) Please consider that spraying oil on the MAF sensor/wire can lead to problems on fuel injected engines. So as jmk3 points out, only introduce the spray "upstream" of any/all electronic components.

Unless you can drive the car long enough to bring the oil up to full temp, starting the car just returns condensation/water to the oil you just changed. Better to let it sit.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:37 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 99flhr

ORIGINAL: jmk3

Marine fogging oil is great for carb equipped engines, ( I use it on my bike,mower etc) Please consider that spraying oil on the MAF sensor/wire can lead to problems on fuel injected engines. So as jmk3 points out, only introduce the spray "upstream" of any/all electronic components.

Unless you can drive the car long enough to bring the oil up to full temp, starting the car just returns condensation/water to the oil you just changed. Better to let it sit.
+1
I also have fogged many a marine outboard.
This is to lube the needle bearings in the case.
A 2 stroke fog is much different than fogging
a 4 cycle engine. 2 stroke fogging coats the
entire inside of the engine with oil. Foggin a
4 cycle only fogs the intake, heads valves and
exhaust manifold along with the mufflers. It coats
none of the internal components on a 4 cycle engine.
It is done on a 2 strokewith the engine running
and you almost kill it with the fog oil. At this
point you shut it off. I would not recommend
fogging a 4 cycle V6 or V8. Asking for more
problems than it would cure.[:-]
Old 10-16-2007, 10:30 PM
06blownpony
1st Gear Member

Great topic! Never thought 'bout that, i'm interested in what ideas people have.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Well since I'm an insurance agent and am not as technically advanced as the rest of the guys, I will look at this from an insurance standpoint. I'm sure you already know this but, if the car is financed get the bank to allow you to carry just comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. They usually have some sort of waiver you can sign for the time you are gone. Then call your insurance company and tell them you want storage coverage. Storage coverage eliminates liability coverage and collision, all but comprehensive. If the vehicle is parked and not driven you have no need for these coverages (collision and liability). Comprehensive though covers theft, vandalism, fire, flood and crap like that. Now like I said, you should already know this. If you do then carry on, if not then save your self a ton of jack over the next year and do it! By the way, if you are military, your *** better have USAA insurance! if you don't I hope you have a good reason why.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poohflingr

Well since I'm an insurance agent and am not as technically advanced as the rest of the guys, I will look at this from an insurance standpoint. I'm sure you already know this but, if the car is financed get the bank to allow you to carry just comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. They usually have some sort of waiver you can sign for the time you are gone. Then call your insurance company and tell them you want storage coverage. Storage coverage eliminates liability coverage and collision, all but comprehensive. If the vehicle is parked and not driven you have no need for these coverages (collision and liability). Comprehensive though covers theft, vandalism, fire, flood and crap like that. Now like I said, you should already know this. If you do then carry on, if not then save your self a ton of jack over the next year and do it! By the way, if you are military, your *** better have USAA insurance! if you don't I hope you have a good reason why.
This is great info! I never thought of that.

I say change oil/filter.

Fresh gas with stabil

Jack it off the ground and have someone start it periodically.

God bless and thanks for your service.