Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic fluid in 5-speed manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:40 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Default Synthetic fluid in 5-speed manual

I'm thinking about changing out the fluid in my 07 GT 5-speed manual and going with Royal Purple Syncromax or possibly Amsoil if they have one that will work. What kind of experience has anyone had with this change? Did it make a noticable difference in the shifting or reduce the transmission noise? I tried the search but it doesn't seem to show any results and I'm sure this must have been discussed before.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Synthetic fluid in 5-speed manual

Redline! Nothing but Redline! Engine, trans, diff...!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sherwood06GT

Redline! Nothing but Redline! Engine, trans, diff...!
I have never used Redline but have heard good things about it. Do you have it in your Tranny?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

RP or Redline....I use RP for mine..
Old 10-16-2007, 08:33 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

i had heard from some people on here that they also run royal purple syncromax with good results. thats what i am going to try when it comes time to service it.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZLEGEND

i had heard from some people on here that they also run royal purple syncromax with good results. thats what i am going to try when it comes time to service it.
I've heard good things in general about Royal Purple products but I wasn't sure about using it in a manual 5-speed. It may sound strange but I wondered if it could be 'too slippery' and cause issues with the synchronizers or something????? My gut says it should be an improvement but I'd like some sort of validation to that.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Been a believer in RedLine Products for years and several hundreds of thousands of miles, two cars and a PU.

Mustang GT, 5 speed, has RedLine D4 in it. Used a 10% mix of "Tufoil" from www.tufoil.com Tufoil originally recommended to me by the machinist that custom built a modified BMW engine for me. I truly believe it shifts better, smoother, still "notchy" and not like a BMW trans. Redline says the fluid good for 30 to 40k miles. I put in at 3.8k, now have 24k and change, plan to change at 30k.

Moved to NC, Redline only availablehere by mail order. Hassle. Found a local Amsoil dealer,25koil change will be Amsoil, trans change at 30k will be Amsoil, motorcycle and PU will follow when it is time, Tufoil is used in all rides.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

Been a believer in RedLine Products for years and several hundreds of thousands of miles, two cars and a PU.

Mustang GT, 5 speed, has RedLine D4 in it. Used a 10% mix of "Tufoil" from www.tufoil.com Tufoil originally recommended to me by the machinist that custom built a modified BMW engine for me. I truly believe it shifts better, smoother, still "notchy" and not like a BMW trans. Redline says the fluid good for 30 to 40k miles. I put in at 3.8k, now have 24k and change, plan to change at 30k.

Moved to NC, Redline only available here by mail order. Hassle. Found a local Amsoil dealer, 25k oil change will be Amsoil, trans change at 30k will be Amsoil, motorcycle and PU will follow when it is time, Tufoil is used in all rides.
I looked at the Tufoil web site but didn't see a tranny additive, only engine additives. Did you mix Tufoil with Red Line in the tranny? Which Red Line product did you use in the transmission?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Doesn't Tremec recomand the GM Syncromesh? Or whatever it's called.
Is it Synthetic?
That's what I run in my old Cougar.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

anyone have a write up on how to do the fluids yourself?

Quick Reply: Synthetic fluid in 5-speed manual