Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low hanging midpipe on my GT?

Old 10-22-2007, 09:08 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

Default Low hanging midpipe on my GT?

This has been a long lasting problem ever since I put on my x-pipe and I'm finally trying to have it fixed. I changed to a generic catted x-pipe because I tried going the cheap route way back when (bad idea I know, I learned my lesson). Well the pipe didn't fix easily so I had it professionally installed and ever since I had it installed my midpipes have been hanging lower than before. Is that because of the crappy x-pipe? Since I moved to florida I can now go cat-free so I plan on getting the FRP x-pipe and doing it right but I just wanted to know if this would possibly fix the problem? The midpipe hangs a good inch lower than it did before, that wouldn't usually be a problem but my car is already dropped 2 inches so the pipe is less than an inch off the ground and my community has alot of speed bumps and it scrapes like all hell every time and I'm pretty tired of waking up the neighbors whenever I go over one

If anyone needs a picture to better understand my problem please let me know and I'll try and crawl under there for you guys.

Hopefully the x-pipe is indeed the problem, I aso plan on changing springs, I think 2 inches is a little too low for me because I have clearance issues going over certain roads and bumps especially with my new chin spoiler. 1 inch drop springs are in my future but I'm waiting until I move in the spring because my new place has a garage, plus after changing the springs once and then changing to d-specs a month later I'm not looking forwad to that time cosuming work for a little while
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Ultrashock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Low hanging midpipe on my GT?

I just installed my x pipe and am hoping this doesnt happen to me. I was told some tack welding would be a good safe route.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

I had the shop that installed my pipe add new hangers because the two that came on the x-pipe didn't fit hoping it would fix the low hanging problem, long story short it didn't [X(]

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure the reason I'm having this problem is because of crappy parts. I have read up on nearly a dozen of x-pipe installs and I'm the first that I have found to have this problem.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I had your same issues with my Bassani x-pipe and these two things fixed mine. First loosen the clamps from the x-pipe to the midpipes and rotate them towards the center of the car, the over the axle portion will get further from the pumpkin. You'll see when you rotate these inward they will also raise up. This will require you also loosen the clamps at the mufflers so they can be re adjusted. That will probably fix most of the problem. The second thing to try or check is the back of the x-pipe, it should be up close to the bottom of the car. If not you can loosen the 4 15mm nuts where the x-pipe connects to the exhaust manifolds / headers and raise the rear of the x then tighten everything back.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:48 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NJ3

I had your same issues with my Bassani x-pipe and these two things fixed mine. First loosen the clamps from the x-pipe to the midpipes and rotate them towards the center of the car, the over the axle portion will get closer to the pumpkin. You'll see when you rotate these inward they will also raise up. This will require you also loosen the clamps at the mufflers so they can be re adjusted. That will probably fix most of the problem. The second thing to try or check is the back of the x-pipe, it should be up close to the bottom of the car. If not you can loosen the 4 15mm nuts where the x-pipe connects to the exhaust manifolds / headers and raise the rear of the x then tighten everything back.
Thanks alot for the info, everything you said sounds like it would make sense. I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Guy

ORIGINAL: NJ3
First loosen the clamps from the x-pipe to the midpipes and rotate them towards the center of the car, the over the axle portion will get further the pumpkin. You'll see when you rotate these inward they will also raise up.
Thanks alot for the info, everything you said sounds like it would make sense. I'll give it a try this weekend.
I told you wrong earlier but I corrected it.