Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle sound at WOT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rattle sound at WOT!

Sorry it took so long to reply, Just got in from a long day at work! Talked to my friend and he said that he loaded the tune with the cai option! We talked a little today and he explained to me that it only happens after the motor has warmed up, when it runs cold or cooler temps outside, there is no noise, the warmer the motor and the warmer outside the worse the sound gets. I drove beside him today at lunch and only heard the noise from the passenger front area, driver side no noise! He kinda beats on the car a bit, still a little confussed about the whole thing! To me it sounds like exhaust problems, but from what i have heard about pinging, it would seem to make a very similar noise!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:16 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Either a loose exhaust hanger (if the sound is coming from the rear) or pinging as the consensus figures.

Make sure he is not using a 10% ethonal gasoline...
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

noise is def. coming from pass. front area. Hard to tell if it is in the engine bay or under the car! As stated before, it only happens under a load, just reving the engine does not make the noise!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Sure it's a rattle? Could it be described as a 'clicking'? It sure sounds like it could be a bad lifter as well but it would definitely be even more noticeable at idle. Hmmmm.... It's leaning more and more to pinging based on when it occurs.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

I wish i could get a sound clip! Very hard to describe with words. I'll try. Picture when you were younger oiling your chain on your bike with it upside down! Now spin the tire as fast as the crank would let you. Now stick a soda can right up against the spokes of the tire, just enough so the tire still spins and the can makes noise. The only thing is that there is no pattern to the noise, as if when you spin the tire at different speeds and touch the can to the spokes, different sound, different pattern, different tone.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:52 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure its from the front passenger? Where were you when you heard it? I ask because I sware its comming from the passenger rear, but I've only heard it from the drivers seat so I'm thinking it may be playing a trick on my brain. Oh, and I have the C&L w/ Diablo canned tune too, so I'm pretty sure we have the same problem.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

I'm telling ya, if it's between 4-6 grand at a certain rpm point there is a good chance it is a simple matter of the harmonics of that rpm rattling the exhaust hanger if he has the stock exhaust and midpipe.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Jackies Stang
2nd Gear Member

I tend to agree with fordfanboy, however, he did say he check the exhaust all the way up to the e manifold. Checked for clearance too. I still think exhaust related but i doubt a hanger unless under load the exhaust loosens fromthe hanger to cause vibration, otherwise i tend to believe it is the cats! Pinging just seems like too serious of an issue for the noise i am hearing from my friends car. I just got off the phone with him and he said he is gonna reload the tune and check the exhaust again. other than that, he said if it is the cats, then long tube is in the near future!
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

hate to bump an old thread.......but i'm getting the same problem right now. did you ever figure out what it is?