Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANyone knows what this means?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Default ANyone knows what this means?

Today I was painting a spoiler that came in the other day, and i put down the primer and color coat and all that good stuff, and I was reading the instructions on the clear coat can and it said let it dry for 48 hours then use a mild rubbing compound to even out the clear coat. Anyone know what a mild rubbing compound would be?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:58 PM
dvf1973
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ANyone knows what this means?

huh..id think a 3000 grit sand paper between coats,
Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Go to like pepboys or whatever kinda autoparts store by your house and ask them. They will point you in the rite direction.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

You can buy rubbing compound from most auto supply stores or stores that carry auto waxes.

Rubbing compound is sort of like a wax, but it is abrasive.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM
Supercruzin
2nd Gear Member

It's a rubbing compound that you an get at any auto parts store. It looks like polish in a way but hasa very mild abrasive in it. If you put a dab on your fingers and rub together yu can feel a slight grit to it. Just use per the instructions on the container. Be careful using a electric or air buffer as you can burn the paint. If you have never used before, stick to hand rubbing your article you painted. I have a few items that i will be doing the same thing to as soon as the rain stops. Avoid painting items when there is a high moisture content in the air. I have gotten a haze over a few cars that I have painted when raining. Don't paint in temps. blow 70 degrees for best results.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

I would think wet sanding would be more effective in leveling clear (getting rid of orange peel). If I were you, I would Google wet sanding techniques as telling you how to do it properly would be a healthy read. A mild rubbing compound would be like peeing on a forest fire to put it out. Save yourself the trouble and do some research on wet sanding.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Cool thanks, i'll have to head over to pep boys in a few days i guess, gonna try a clay bar too got a few scratches on the thing im painting, anyone had any luck with claybars?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

Claybars are used to clean fallout from your clearcoat. They will do nothing for you and what you are trying to accomplish as they do not have any leveling abilities (i.e. getting rid of scratches). I encourage you to research a little before you buy anything you don't need.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Supercruzin
2nd Gear Member

Infiity is correct that wet sanding with Ultrafine wet/dry paper is the best way to go, but make sure you practice on something besides your project first to see just how fast/well the wet sanding works. But do read up on it before you start. You will still need to buff out the paint after sanding.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

Is wetsanding safe for a spray on clearcoat that I bought from an auto store, i know its probably not the best quality clear coat out there, and I dont want sand it off (Im painting a spoiler by the way)

Quick Reply: ANyone knows what this means?