Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie trying to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Mustang Novice
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie trying to make a decision

I am looking to buy a new 2005 Mustang. My father-in-law is a dealer, so I get a good price and priority. He also can get me some breaks on mods, because people want him to send them business. But I don't have time to do a lot myself (that's how I make money to buy this stuff). I don't "race" (at least not for money), but I'm an acceleration junkie. The faster I can get to the next red light, the better. I also like the idea of making a common car unique.
Anyway, I am going to at least buy a premium GT convertible, but I was looking at the Saleen S-281 Supercharged (probably convertible), but I'm trying to decide if I could better spend the extra $20-25,000. When I priced Saleen's mod's using their parts, it was $18,000 without the changes to the interior (or the Saleen logos everywhere); most of the money was in the supercharger, the 20 inch wheels, and the 14" brakes.

My questions are:
1) Does a Saleen hold it's value? I know that I'll never get my money back on mods.
2) How does Steeda and Rousch compare? I haven't had a chance to look at them.
3) Are their better (cheaper ways) to get to 400 hp when I can't "do it myself"? It seems that I'll be paying a lot to have it tuned and labor to add major mods.

TIA. If this is not the right forum, I apologize.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie trying to make a decision

Saleen is never worth the price... IMO..
Buy a gt and mod it YOUR way....
Old 02-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

best of luck with your ecision. I didn't see your age in your post. I know when I was younger, I often did the V8 into a 6 cyl car, or stayed with a factory ride, because insurance rates were so much better.

Anyway you go, I know you will enjoy the 05 platform. I am at just over 800 miles on my 05 Prem GT, stick. I am impressed with the 300 ponies, but want more. With factory cobras 1-2 years out. I am consudering the intercooled SC bolt on, for 450hp.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Mustang Novice
1st Gear Member

I'm married, so the boss has to approve. She wants me to get rid of the manual since she can't drive it. I have to agree that does cause a lot of frustration on my part, but I can't motivate her to learn. She freaks out too much. She has a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer with a 5.4 and I don't think they make an option that she doesn't have, so at least I have some ammo on spending for a vehicle.
I'm 33. So it's a midlife crisis vehicle.
Seriously, I finally have money to play with. I am probably being stupid to even consider a Saleen, but it would be a nice show car.
My dilemma stems from the fact that I haven't had money, and now that I do, I want to spend it on the best and I know that the best doesn't mean the most expensive. The Saleen has the advantage of retaining value, I think plus it's a show car more than a race car, which is more my cup of tea.
Thanks for the help.