Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am almost ashamed to ask this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:39 PM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

Default I am almost ashamed to ask this...

...but then again, of all the things I am, a carpenter/mechanic/tool guy I am not. SOOOO.....

I'm thinking of installing my Roush hood scoop myself. In the instructions, they say I need a "5mm" drill bit. I know enough that I need a drill bit for metal, not a generic one that also does wood, etc. But this 5mm thing threw me. At my local home improvement store, I found the drill bits for metal, but NOWHERE did I find drill bits labeled with the metric system. I finally came across some that included a metric size, but the problem was I could not find one that was 5mm exactly. I wound up buying for now one that was labeled - 3/16" / 4,76mm. Is this OK? Or do I just need to go to another home improvement store? There was one labeled 5,59mm, but I figure better to have too small a bit than too big. Anybody that could kindly offer this poor soul some advice?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Default RE: I am almost ashamed to ask this...

6mm will work fine if nothing else.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:48 PM
zoso66

A #9 bit will get you within .0008"

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960
Old 10-26-2007, 06:49 PM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

6mm will work fine if nothing else.
Thanks, but to address my original question - do they come in EXACT sizes like 5mm or 6mm? Like I said, I couldn't find anything exact and the mental giant working in the department had less knowledge than me and said go with the slightly smaller one first.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zoso66

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960
So now I need to look for bits labeled with # sizes instead of inches or mm? [&:] Man, working in information technology and finance seems so much easier now....
Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07PonyVert

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960
So now I need to look for bits labeled with # sizes instead of inches or mm? [&:] Man, working in information technology and finance seems so much easier now....
go work as an IT person at a production facility then you'll be able to ask a maintenance person this stuff and maybe get one to help
Old 10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960
go work as an IT person at a production facility then you'll be able to ask a maintenance person this stuff and maybe get one to help
Easy there...I didn't mean anything offensive by my comment. We were all newbies to mechanics and tools at some point, right? Just find it frustrating as someone who is trying to learn something new -and I never would have expected three different size classification systems for something as simple as a drill bit!

Can a brother at least get a little credit for not taking the easy way out and wanting to do the install himself?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960
Easy there...I didn't mean anything offensive by my comment. We were all newbies to mechanics and tools at some point, right? Just find it frustrating as someone who is trying to learn something new -and I never would have expected three different size classification systems for something as simple as a drill bit!

Can a brother at least get a little credit for not taking the easy way out and wanting to do the install himself?
Sorry for sounding offencive
I'm in IT too and before my current job Ihad never drilled metal
I get tired of waiting on maintenance to do something so I ask how to and then sometimes go do it
I've learned quite a bit thanks to being able to ask maintenance
Old 10-26-2007, 08:40 PM
07PonyVert
1st Gear Member

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960

I get tired of waiting on maintenance to do something so I ask how to and then sometimes go do it
No prob andnice to meet another member of the IT world! Unfortunately, where I'm at, no real maintenance guys in sight, so thought I'd ask in the one place full of expertise. Like I said, just crazy to find out there's 3 different size classifications for a drill bit...if the instructions say to use a 5mm drill bit, I'd like to think it actually exists [&:]...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:45 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

5mm=.1968"
#9=.1960

No prob andnice to meet another member of the IT world! Unfortunately, where I'm at, no real maintenance guys in sight, so thought I'd ask in the one place full of expertise. Like I said, just crazy to find out there's 3 different size classifications for a drill bit...if the instructions say to use a 5mm drill bit, I'd like to think it actually exists [&:]...
Ya I know how you feel
I prefer to be working with Cisco, Microsoft, VOIP, ect

Quick Reply: I am almost ashamed to ask this...