Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spots in my paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 02:05 AM
mrluckycharm00
1st Gear Member

Default Spots in my paint

My car has been sitting outside for a few days. I guess it got rained on and now there are spots in my paint. You can't see them if you look directly at the paint, but if you look at an angle they are pretty obvious. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, does anyone know of a way to get these spots out?

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:50 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Spots in my paint

Same boat bro. I got nailed by some sprinkler water...serious white water spots.
Who knows what minerals were in that water, but I can't get them out. I washed it...
nothing, quick detailer...nothing, clay bar...nothing. So I tried some Mequires cleaner/wax
and yeah....if I rub the hell out of it I can get them out. So my plan is to just wait until
Spring (garaged in Winter) and have a shop buff the whole car. It's around $300.00.
I was thinking about buying a Porter cable kit and try it myself, but have never used one
before and would hate to screw up and melt my clear coat. I think I'll leave this to the pros.

Oh, forgot to mention...it's only the hood. Right now you can only see them if the reflection
is just right. So,after everything I've tried,I ended uphaving real shiney spots.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suggest you clay bar the car then use a synthetic wax like ICE. I've had spotting before due to acid rain and other stuff "leeching" into the wax. The synthetics seem to withstand that better,
Old 10-27-2007, 08:06 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

LOL I have no garage, my car sits outside all the time,(a year next month) rain, snow, whatever, I've never seen any "spots" !?!?!!

Also, I've yet to wax it, and I use a brushless car wash place, I think I've had it washed a couple of times so far...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:09 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

The porter cable won't burn your paint, its random orbital not rotary, Takes very little practice, the biggest trick is not starting till your touching the car & stopping before you lift off. This just keeps you from flinging polish all over the place (usually your face).
Old 10-27-2007, 08:18 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

ACID RAIN! wHAT COLOUR HAVE YOU GOT?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

ACID RAIN! wHAT COLOUR HAVE YOU GOT?
sorry, caps lock, cant figure out how to turn it off
+1
Are you in an industrial area with a lot of smokestacks
or out in the middle of nowhere with no polution in
the immediale area? Have you ever applied any wax?
Is this a wax free vehicle?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

The Porter Cable 7424 is the answer. Although like Nuke said, you want to clay first. Along with the polisher, you want to use the right pads and compounds. Go to this web site http://www.autogeekonline.netThey have kits and video instructions that tell you the right way to do it, it really isn't difficult. If you register there, put my name "Reaper" as the referrer. The other thing is never let that stuff stay in the paint any longer than you have to, I'd never let it sit like that all winter. -Joe
Old 10-27-2007, 09:49 AM
mrluckycharm00
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Same boat bro. I got nailed by some sprinkler water...serious white water spots.
Who knows what minerals were in that water, but I can't get them out. I washed it...
nothing, quick detailer...nothing, clay bar...nothing. So I tried some Mequires cleaner/wax
and yeah....if I rub the hell out of it I can get them out. So my plan is to just wait until
Spring (garaged in Winter) and have a shop buff the whole car. It's around $300.00.
I was thinking about buying a Porter cable kit and try it myself, but have never used one
before and would hate to screw up and melt my clear coat. I think I'll leave this to the pros.

Oh, forgot to mention...it's only the hood. Right now you can only see them if the reflection
is just right. So,after everything I've tried,I ended uphaving real shiney spots.
What really pisses me off is the fact that my car is only 4 months old!!! It has a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class wax on it, I wash it every week and then apply Meguiar's Quick Detailer. I thought for sure this crap would protect my paint. Boy was I wrong.

I guess first I'll try some clay. I can practice on my BMW. I got the same spots on it a few weeks ago. That pissed me off, but that car is 12 years old so it wasn't THAT bad. But my four month old Mustang?!?! If I am lucky enough to get the spots out, I'll probably just end up with the same situation again somewhere down the line, because I don't have a garage. My car will be out all winter getting snowed on, rained on, etc... I'm going Nucking Futs!

[:@]
Old 10-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

just from rain, my car gets rained on all the time[:@], (my DD) and i just give it a wash and they're gone