Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help for the new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:52 AM
djslcfr

Default Help for the new guy...

I have been reading the posts on this site for a few months now, and I have become completely baffled by the abrievations and the specifics in the reply's. I am very new to the mustang family and I need some very basic information. I would like to upgrade my exhaust and add a cold air intake (CAI). Question 1 - which exhaust is best for a great sound and maybe better power. I have been looking at the Magnaflow catback system, but since reading some posts on here, I am now confused on what I should do.
Question 2 - which CAI is best for a 07 GT? I have also heard that all aftermarket CAI need a retune of the computer to work correctly. Is that true, and which brand or model is a sure bet for some additional power. Please help.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help for the new guy...

ORIGINAL: djslcfr
I have been reading the posts on this site for a few months now, and I have become completely baffled by the abrievations and the specifics in the reply's. I am very new to the mustang family and I need some very basic information. I would like to upgrade my exhaust and add a cold air intake (CAI). Question 1 - which exhaust is best for a great sound and maybe better power. I have been looking at the Magnaflow catback system, but since reading some posts on here, I am now confused on what I should do.
Question 2 - which CAI is best for a 07 GT? I have also heard that all aftermarket CAI need a retune of the computer to work correctly. Is that true, and which brand or model is a sure bet for some additional power. Please help.
well not all CAI's need a retune just the ones that are worth it
as for which one I think many have said C&L but you will get differant opinions

as for exhaust which is the more important power or sound
the one that provides the most power might not sound the way you want or it might
so how do you want it to sound
and exhaust only provides minimal gains (unless boosted) because the stock exhaust is pretty good already

now for someone that can better help you to show up
Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

I've heard good thing from people who have SLP Loudmouths for an exhaust system, i have magnaflows myself and like the sound, but i've heard better. and for CAI i would say C&L and a tune
Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 AM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

Your really not going to get any extra power out of the exhaust unless you change your midpipe or get some headers. I personally like the slp loudmouths and borla stingers, but everyone is going to give you their own opinion. Your best bet is to listen to some clips or go to a car meet where you can hear them yourself. As far as cai, C&L or JLT are probably the best way to go along with a tune to get maximum gains.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:44 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

I was in the same position as you about a year ago, so I spent a LOT of time reading the posts here, and another Mustang site, I also read a lot of reviews. I finally came to the conclussion that the majority of people thought the C&L Intake was the best. OF course you will need a tune with that, so I bought the SCT tuner from Brenspeed, I really can't say if they are better than another seller I see a lot of good mention about here B ama chips, so either of those would probably be good.

As far as the exhaust goes, I have an 05 F-150 that after putting a tuner, intake and exhaust on it, had the most annoying DRONE you could ever imagine!!!! I spend at least 2 hours in the Mustang every day, so there was NO WAY I could deal with that drone. From everything I read, the best bet there was the Corsa axle-backs, so that's what I bought. I can't say if the setup I have is the best, but I can say that after about 20,000 miles of driving the car with this setup, I certainly would recommend it.

Hope this helps.