Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saleen SC Intercooler Reservoir Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Skidmen

Default Saleen SC Intercooler Reservoir Leaking

All,
First time posting so I hope I get it right. I've got an 07 GT with a Saleen SC and my reservoir is leaking? I thought that it might have been a little over full at first so I had no problems with cleaning up the mess. Just had the oil changed last Friday and I think the service dept added some additional coolant because after running it through some twisties on the way home, I've got a bigger mess then before. I don't know if the cap is faulty or this is normal when you run these babies a bit hard?

Anyone have this issue? Thanks in advance for any insight.

And I know......Pics will come when the camera gets here!
Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Saleen SC Intercooler Reservoir Leaking

welcome to the forums, someone with a saleen with come in here soon im sure
Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Skidmen

Mike,
Thanks. I've been a long time lurker but felt it was time to break the ice. Usually there seems to be lots of post from the S/C guys. But I realize that most are not online when I'm reading.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I have many issues but not a leaking problem. Sorry I can't be of any help.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:20 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

This is actually very common and there are a couple solutions. I called Saleen and discussed it with them when I first got my sc and installed it. They said the problem is the resevoir neck is too thick. They told me the best fix is to shave down the inside of the neck of the resevoir tank so the cap could go all the way on. I never did that because it would invole first taking the resevoir back off again because you can't have any shavings getting in the tank. I think through use, my cap and neck wore together and it doesn't leak any more.

Another thing is the the cap that comes with the resevoir is very low pressure. I replaced it with a regular radiator cap (higher pressure). Not that you will have high pressure there, that water doesn't get very hot. Whatever, it is working for me. The other way to fix it is some people put 2 rubber washers in there for a better seal. -Joe
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

Mine leaked a little bit for the first 3-4 months that I had it and it just stopped on it's own one day.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:39 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Starting with the cap is the best. If you have a pressure tester you can actually test the cap itself. Theres a lot of leaking caps even from the factory. Ive gone through 3 new ones off the shelf until I found a good one. Even bought a new tester thinking my took a dump.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
teamgsxr
2nd Gear Member

This is Jorge from Saleen Techline. It's an easy fix. Give me a call at 949-609-5935 or just follow the instruction below.

Intercooler Reservoir Modifications:
The inner edge of where the cap sits on thereservoir is too small and contacts the plastic on the cap rather than touching the gasket. The fix is to chamfer the inner edge of the reservoir, removing about 0.200. A 45 degree angle spec is not critical. The reservoir should be removed and flushed out to ensure that no piece of the plastic get caught inside.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:56 PM
MachMeNot

Another "fix" that others have done is to take the rubber seal out of another cap and add it to the "leaky" cap. The easy way for me was to buy a Stant Radiator Cap (p/n 11238)from Schuck's Auto Supply for $2.49. It has a smaller diameter center section, so it seats all the way, and I haven't had a leak since. It doesn't have the same pretty decal that the factory cap has, but it works.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

I have found that some have this problem and some don't. One thing to check is if the system is "burped" good enough. The intercooler cooling system really likes to hold air (pockets). Theses systems do build some pressure, but much as statedbefore, but do.

Casey

Quick Reply: Saleen SC Intercooler Reservoir Leaking