Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust-biggest gain?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust-biggest gain?

Do you want power looks or sound? The current simple bolt ons that work are adding pulleys, removing the intake pipe restriction, adding a cold air intake, JBA shorties, Bassani cat back X-pipe and using some type of flash programmer and putting it on the dyno to fine tune with someone who knows the 05 engine. Don't waste your money on exaust mods except for the JBA shorties and Bassani X-pipe, the exaust system is already large enough and pretty smoothly bent with minimal power loss through the mufflers. All of the above will give you an honest 40 horses and should be enough to get you into the low-mid 13 sec. on a stick car.

Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Refonbass
1st Gear Member

I just got off the phone with magnaflow and they said they have a confirmed gain of 10rwhp and 13ft.lbs.
Regarding the above comment of a low to mid 13 second car with those mods, many people ( JDM for example) have run low to mid 13's bone stock... so I would hope those times would improve with a few mods. I know my car definitely feels quicker. I currently have JLT CAI, Xcalibrator Tune, Steeda U/D pullies, 4.10 rear end. among others.. Still waiting to find the right exhaust.
also can't help but notice that the baseline dyno of 255rwhp in the above link seems strangely low for a manual car when comparing to others I have seen.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Refonbass

I just got off the phone with magnaflow and they said they have a confirmed gain of 10rwhp and 13ft.lbs.
Regarding the above comment of a low to mid 13 second car with those mods, many people ( JDM for example) have run low to mid 13's bone stock... so I would hope those times would improve with a few mods. I know my car definitely feels quicker. I currently have JLT CAI, Xcalibrator Tune, Steeda U/D pullies, 4.10 rear end. among others.. Still waiting to find the right exhaust.
also can't help but notice that the baseline dyno of 255rwhp in the above link seems strangely low for a manual car when comparing to others I have seen.
People are seeing 270+ rwhp on dynos with manuals. The autos are around 250.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey,

I was being conservative. With the mods I posted above you should do mid 13's on stock tires without speed shifting. Add 4.10's and lose 15 PSI in the tires (or better yet DOT drag radials), install a good shifter with stops to reliably and safely power shift and you sould be knocking on the 12's.

You actually believe someone who is selling exaust systems that they are getting 12-15HP from a cat back system only WITH NO OTHER CHANGES? They are BS'ing you, there is NO WAY! To see that kind of gain you would need to add good shorty headers, a good X-pipe with hi-flow racing cats and you would still need to reprogram the ECU for it to work well through out the rev. range. Virtually ALL of the additional power gained from adding an exaust system is from tunning the ECU on a dyno. Adding an exaust system only will do almost nothing at all. You will get more real power from buying programer and spending some time tunning with it than you will from buying a loud exaust system.

Adding a shinney chrome tipped exaust system will only make you look like a ricer driving American iron. Aren't there enough of them out there already? Need I say more?

Old 03-10-2005, 09:35 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Agreed.. There is nothing wrong with my tip.. dont need a new one..haha
Old 03-21-2005, 04:51 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

[quote]Do you want power looks or sound? The current simple bolt ons that work are adding pulleys, removing the intake pipe restriction, adding a cold air intake, JBA shorties, Bassani cat back X-pipe and using some type of flash programmer and putting it on the dyno to fine tune with someone who knows the 05 engine. Don't waste your money on exaust mods except for the JBA shorties and Bassani X-pipe, the exaust system is already large enough and pretty smoothly bent with minimal power loss through the mufflers. All of the above will give you an honest 40 horses and should be enough to get you into the low-mid 13 sec. on a stick[quote]

i want it for power F1fan i am getting the bassani off road x pipe and the jba header pipes i have the charge-motion plate on order. i alread have sean hyland pulley's and a predator tuner the only thing i am needing to know is what cia to get and out of all the cat back systems there has to be at least one that gave some sort of proformance gain even if it is only like 5 to 10 HP i know ford did a good job with the stock exhaust but some one out there has to have done it a little better and gain some sort of power out of the system. corsa has advertised HP gains i don't know if they are fudged or not but i am in hopes that some one knows truthfuly that borla, corsa, magna flow, flow master, slp ect. (some high proformance exhaust) dose offer some gains over the stock system.
also what is a good high flow cat for the 05?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:14 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Bullet,

First let me say that there are almost no dyno charts that you should trust fully. All of the published dyno info I've seen in print magazines and on the web are from vendors who have an interest in showing their products in a favorable light. Truly independent results are hard to come by as hen's teeth because NOBODY wants to show the brands that they sell as being ineffective because they want to sell the stuff. So the only way to get independent test results would be if someone was made of money and wanted to buy and test a bunch of this equipment for personal information. this would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to do. Then the lawsuits from the manufactures would start and the threats of pulling advertising dollars out of the magazines that published them would begin. Do you see how this works?

For truly independent results you would need to have access to a car or a group of cars and a chassis dyno for over a period of several months and have some way to publish the information independently of any paid advertising that could potentially be used to leverage what you publish. To do this you would need some sort of paid subscription by BUYERS of performance equipment. This could be an interesting business if you could find the money and develop the business model.

Anyway, if you want power and want to retain some kind of emissions control you will need to use shorty headers and either stock cats or a race/hi-flow cat with an X-pipe. If you don't care about emissions or you don't have emissions or SPL testing in your area I'd go with long tube headers with an off road X-pipe and a quieter rear muffler from Spintec or Flowmaster. If you go with the shorties and race cats and you still feel that you must change the rear mufflers any of the majors (Magnaflow, SPL, Corsa, Basanni, Borla, Flowmaster, Spintec etc.), will work but realize that they are all quite a bit noisier than stock and offer little or no additional power and COST a lot of money. IMO anything that costs money and adds little or no power is a VERY EXPENSIVE product.

Last, there are NO legal after market cats that you can put on your '05 GT. The reason is that all new cars have an emissions warranty that will replace your damaged cats with OEM parts for free. If your cats for some reason don't work Ford will have to replace them, this is federal and state law. In a few years after you have enough miles to end your emissions warranty my understanding is that you can install after market cats. These are getting easy to find now and most better manufactures of performance exhaust offer some sort of hi-flow or race cats you can use. Bassani has some nice ones you can use that bolt right up to your stock shorty manifold or any of the standard shorties with OEM type exhaust ball socket.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
silverbullit05
2nd Gear Member

thank you very much that helped alot.