Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Mustang and the Rain/Snow

Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM
TheMeanestofTimes
1st Gear Member

Default Your Mustang and the Rain/Snow

I'm a proud owner of a 1997 GT w/ a PI Swap and a bunch of bolt ons but I've been itching for a new Mustang for the past year or so. I have driven my friends and it was everything I expected. Though I do have one very simple question...

How does it drive in crappy weather? I'm sure no one here gets eager to drive their Mustang in the snow but how is it in the snow? I'm not talking 4' just like 2" or a very slick road. It would be my daily driver so it would have to be suitable in all road conditions. I don't have traction control in my Mustang now so it really sucks in bad weather conditions.

Thank you all
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Your Mustang and the Rain/Snow

Well, just to be completely honest... it's horrible!
This is my DD, and I dread getting it out in the rain. I don't know why we even have traction control because it seems that it doesn't do anything in the rain.
It's fine if you drive under the speed limit like a granny, but once you get on the throttle the tires just break loose like crazy! It's probably better than your '97, but not much.
Love everything else about the car though!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I think this car handles just fine in the rain. I guess it just depends on what you're used to. It's all relevant. Having gone from a 6 Speed RWD Pick Up to the Mustang made the Mustang feel like driving a 4WD.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

I drive mine year-round, you just have to use common sense. They can be touchy on wet roads & snow, but quite managable. I put on winter tires on all 4 corners & as long as I'm careful when pulling out & drive safely,I did not have any problems. I live in the flatlands of mid-Ohio & don't have to deal with any hills.
Haven't owned a S95 or Fox body style, so can't comment on those.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I agree that you have to have comon sense and not do a race track launch on wet roads. Our car are light in the rear, thus less traction. If you ease off, you won't have any problems. You also have to watch to way you make a turn as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM
ericw2000

Now I haven't driven in the snow yet, nor do I really plan to, but I've been pretty impressed with the handling in the rain. With the traction control and the limited slip rear end, I find the tires stick well if you drive reasonably. The only time I had a problem was when the rain first started after a couple weeks dry spell, and the roads were still oily. I have the factory 18" wheels with the factory BFG tires.

As a contrast, my DD is a 2004 Expedition with the factory Continental tires and limited slip rear axle. Those tires are spinning if someone spits on the road, and have been since I drove it new off the lot. My mustang handles a lot better than my truck in the rain.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

I have 18K+ on my 07 and have no issues in the slick stuff, and mine is obivously a DD (60+ per day).I live around Portland, Oregon so I get PLENTY of rain and occasionally a light dusting as well. Stay light on the go-fast pedal and you should be fine. I have never so much as gotten mine sideways, and I am not what you could call a "cautious driver". Cautious of where the nearest peace officer is maybe
Old 10-31-2007, 05:05 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Common sence is the key. this is my 3rd stang, and it handles the best. I had a 90 lx and a 94 GT
Old 10-31-2007, 05:10 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fullsayl

I have 18K+ on my 07 and have no issues in the slick stuff, and mine is obivously a DD (60+ per day).I live around Portland, Oregon so I get PLENTY of rain and occasionally a light dusting as well. Stay light on the go-fast pedal and you should be fine. I have never so much as gotten mine sideways, and I am not what you could call a "cautious driver". Cautious of where the nearest peace officer is maybe

Well you don't really have to worry about the snow in Portland cause when it falls here the city grinds to a stop and you can't go any faster than 10 mph.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:12 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

I live in Fl so driving in the rain is almost an everyday thing.

That being said I have never had a problem. Even with TC off, if you dont drive like you are racing you will be perfectly fine. It's like any other car, you have to drive like you know you are driving in the rain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Your Mustang and the Rain/Snow