Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spots and Stripes! Humm

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Spots and Stripes! Humm

Yeap, Say no to Bob White Decals!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:35 AM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

interesting.. i've installed stripes for cars and trucks at our dealership and I've noticed that the silver ones, no matter what brand I've purchased get spotty after a little while...
Old 11-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

how big are the spots?
About the size of a pencil eraser?
I just read an article about that in the LA Times and they said small spots, yellow in color, were showing up on cars. The article said that it was bee poop! Do bees fly over your car? They usually have flight patterns to and from their hives.

Here's the article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...news-highway_1
Old 11-02-2007, 04:28 AM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

No spots here. I use Aerospace 303 on mine about once a month. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:32 AM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

I had black Vinyl stripes..they were all spotty and nasty looking when I bought it at 17K miles....I had them taken off and painted on.....
Old 11-02-2007, 08:05 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

BSM stripes with no issues.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:12 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loots06

I had Metallic silver stripes as well and they were vinyl. I dont think the problem started with what they used at the shop but rather the color of the stripes themselves. What do you think?
That's exactly what it is. I have a Van that has Metallic Silver vinyl and I see spots as well as places that look like it's stained. Silver is a hard color to keepit's luster. You can try putting some Aerospace 303 on it to help keep it from cracking or peeling, but if you really want stripes, have them painted on.....it will last a lot longer and easier to maintain.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

I had spots on my silver metallic vinyl, but I have mine in the body shop right now getting rid of them and painting the stripes on the car...Mine were nasty looking...I really hated it...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
BaltimoreStreetMods
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loots06

Spots and Stripes..for those of us how have the stripes, do you also have Spots? The Spots on the stripes appear to discolorations or stains. I previously had silver colored stripes on mytungsten grayMustang. After the stripes were installed theystarted to spot, discoloror stain. I'm wondering if anyone else has experieced this problem.Does anyone knowthe cause?Is there anything thatcould be doneto remedy the problem?
After a few reports of this (all replaced at my cost) I finally saw a pattern. Most of the cars that were reporting this problem were either near, or in the prevailing wind pattern of all the wildfires we have been having lately. I have always warned, when asked, about tree pollen, bird droppings, etc, but the rate of reports (about 1 in 50sets of silver, much too high to be random) prompted me to try to find a common denominator. Turns out I was half right. According to an article in the LA Times:

"So I went to the superagency that manages our air, the South Coast Air Quality Management District. The scientists at AQMD are on top of this one. They have seen the yellow spots, collected samples, put them under a microscope and have concluded they are bee pollen, said agency spokeswoman Tina Cherry.

I wondered why bees would drop their pollen, when they should be carrying it back to the hive to make honey. AQMD's explanation seemed close but not quite correct. Susan Cobey, a research associate at the UC Davis bee laboratory, said it is not pollen but bee poop -- or more politely, digested pollen.

"The bees mix the pollen with a little bit of honey and put it in a basket on their legs, so it is in there pretty securely and doesn't fall out," Cobey said.

However, bees follow certain regular flight lines, so parking your car under one of these high traffic bee routes can make for a big mess from bees dropping their waste, which they do more often at certain times of the year, particularly in the spring.

The bee droppings are acidic, but Cobey isn't sure how they affect car paint. She finds that if she wets down her car and lets it set, the bee droppings dissolve and can be washed away.

Bad things' falling from the sky is a timely issue, given the thick layer of smoke and soot created by the wildfires across the region. It is highly alkaline and very abrasive, according to the Auto Club and other experts.

The club advises garaging cars until the air clears and quickly washing ash off cars.

Meguiar's Inc., an Irvine-based producer of car care products, said the soot and smoke contain chemicals that can eat into the finish. They include calcium, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. The potassium can form potassium hydroxide, the main ingredient in drain cleaner, said Gary Silvers, vice president for research and development at Meguiar's.

A number of experts say it is vital to get the soot and ash off cars as quickly as possible. In some cases, experts advise blowing it off before wetting it down. A more conventional approach is to completely flush the car with water, use a good automotive soap and a washing mitt that will not grind the ash into the paint." - excerpted from latimes.com "Here's the buzz on those spots on your car.", By Ralph Vartabedian, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer October 31, 2007 You can read the entire article at: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...news-highway_1

As always, I back up my product, and at the end of the day I want every stang to look good, so never hesitate to give me a shout if you run into issues.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
FORDM
I ♥ Acer

When I had my 01 gt i got the 3m stripes put on and after a icing one cold night I came out and warmed the car, when the ice started to melt from the hood, it left spots and it was discolored, and on top it started with little spots, ooh and by the way, never wax your stripes, i thought it would bring them out, it just made them more dull.

Quick Reply: Spots and Stripes! Humm