Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Replacing Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 10:29 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help: Replacing Brake Pads

Why not install performance pads, like Hawk, while your at it?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 AM
frodaddi
1st Gear Member

I have done this a number of times. The fronts are easy. You can compress the pistons in using a C clamp against the old pad. Takes no time at all.

The rears are much more of a PITA. They have two slots on the face of the piston which are used to screw the piston back in. You can get a universal brake tool that's a cube shaped thing you attach to a ratchet / extension.It looks like this:

This is an inexpensive solution and will cost you around $10-$15. Only problem is, none of the 'nubs' fit in the slots on the piston. But what you can do is take a grinder and on the side with 4 nubs, grind off 2 of them and the remaining 2 will fit, kind of. But not really. I tried using this tool and it kept popping out of the slots, scarring up the pistons, etc. So I abandoned it.

Instead, I bought a universal set like this one. It's a bit more expensive at around $50 for a cheap set like I boughtor $200 if you want the Snap On or Mac one. But it makes the job WAY easier. One of the circular adapters fits the slots perfectly and the brake-pad looking thing wedges in the caliper so the tool won't pop out while you turn it.

Good luck!
Kevin.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

^^^ Bingo, that's the kit in the above pic.

ORIGINAL: 05BlackPony

ORIGINAL: grampa_stang

Guarantee you're going to have to compress the piston to get the new pads on.

fyi: Frontpiston just pushes directly in
rear piston must be rotated in with a special tool.
Thanks for reconfirming my understanding.

The tool for the rear calipers, is it just a C-clamp like tool, or is it a tool that acts like a "key" to lock into the piston? I watched an install on YouTube last night and the rear caliper on the car had an e-brake, (like ours) and required a tool to lock into the piston.
No, it's not like a C-clamp at all, more like a key. It's cube shaped. The cube shaped tool is available
at any auto parts store, but there pretty cheap. You can buy a really nice kit that includes the special tools
for the rear brakes and the tool to compress the front brakes. Harbor Freight has a nice kit.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

I took my calipers completely off last year and painted them................
I dont recall anything like that one the rear...............
Early EARLY 05 v6.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:05 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

If you take teh caliper completely off you probably wont have any problems....this is only if removing and putting on new pads
Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Why not install performance pads, like Hawk, while your at it?
I am... that's why I started this thread to ask how to change the pads. Got the rotor part down.

- Thanks for everyones help! Very anxious to get some nice stopping power soon!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Hey 05BlackPony - can you tell us which Pads you are going to install? Once installed and tested please give us an update on how they work (if you are installing perfomance oriented pads I'd like to hear your feelings on the differences to stock). Thanks.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Harbor freight has the cheap kit on sale for $19.95, regularly $30.00, Autozone or Advance Auto parts lend them for free. The cube sucks. Keep an eye on your master cylinder as it can overflow and brake fluid will eat off paint. Pick up a turkey baster to take extra fluid out of master cylinder.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:10 PM
05BlackPony
3rd Gear Member

-Argonaut

I'm going to install Hawk HPS pads with RotorPros (Centric) Rotors Drilled/Slotted. Will let everyone know the results!

jmk3- Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't want to pop the hood one day and see a chewed up strut tower!! []

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: 05BlackPony

-Argonaut

I'm going to install Hawk HPS pads with RotorPros (Centric) Rotors Drilled/Slotted. Will let everyone know the results!

jmk3- Thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't want to pop the hood one day and see a chewed up strut tower!! []

Thanks again to everyone!
That is what I am running, works very well.....i cant say i notice a huge improvement in the stopping in normal driving, but my pads where not warn out or anything either....on hard stops i notice a little better stopping though

Quick Reply: Help: Replacing Brake Pads