Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Rattle at start up?

What is wrong with you? Why is it someone always has to make a stupid remark? lol... Oh yeah. Its usually me.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 PM
satinsilvergt

I have checked everything under the car. I finally found it, it appears to be the pre cats. When the exhaust is cold you can tap on the exhaust and hear the insides of the pre cats rattling. This appears to be my problem. Is this common? It goes away once warm but until then it sound terrible.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

It could be the lifters. I have a friend who had to take here V6 back and it was here lifters.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
satinsilvergt

Nope it's defiantly not lifters it sounds just like a heat shield rattle. If you rev the engine you hear it when cold. I removed the heat shields to see if that was it but it was still their. With the engine off and the exhausr cold I can make the same sound by hitting the exhaust. It is coming from the pre-cats. I just need to convince the dealer. It's warm when I bring it so they can't recreate it. I guess I will have to leave it over night.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Strange, a bunch of customers thought the same, when you bang the exhaust it rattles. lol. It was the conntecing plate between engine/trans.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:25 AM
satinsilvergt

Thanks for the info! If it is the plate how do I fix it. I would like to do it myself if possible. Is it loose or does it need to be adjusted? Were is it exactly can I get to it under the hood or beneith the car?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:52 AM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

The plate is gotten to by underneath the car.It is right in back of the oil pan on the front of the transmission. There are two 3/8-16 (Thread Size) x 1/2 long bolts missing on this plate.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

LOL> REad the rest of the post. I already told everyone this was a problem a while ago.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 PM
satinsilvergt

THANKS Casper!! That was it. I crawled under it after work and sure enough the two bolts were missing. I had some lying around and installed them and the rattle is gone. I love the Internet!! One other thing I wanted to mention I have not seen any posts about this one but figured I would mention it. The day I drove my new stang home I noticed a small puddle of antifreeze under it. If you face the front of the car it was under the right front. I found the leak was at an adapter half way down the upper radiator hose that has 3 hoses coming off it. The hoses had clamps on them but were very loose. I replaced the hose clamps with real hose clamps that can be tightened and that fixed the fault. It appears the factory clamps were too loose.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

^^^^ THis is a problem FORD has with all its hose clamps. Back about 8 months ago, they recalled Super Dutys because they were comming off towing and such working with them. So they ran dry. They recalled all the hose clamps and replaced them with new clamps.

Quick Reply: Rattle at start up?