Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Boom Tubes!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Default New Boom Tubes!

I placed my order for boom tubes on Thursday night. Saturday afternoon, FedEx pulled up - while my car was up on jack stands! (I was painting the calipers...pics later)
So, of course I had to put them on right away. The sound is exactly what I was looking for. Not too aggressive at idle/part throttle - so I won't have to pi$$ off the neighbors when I leave at 6 in the morning. But anywhere over part throttle, they really have an awesome growl. Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the sound - I'll post pics tomorrow, and I plan to post a vid later this week. (I was able to find exactly one video of boom tubes with the stock exhaust.)

However, I have a question for all the gurus out there (you know who you are ). I have noticed a slight rattle - sometimes around 1900 RPM, sometimes on bumps - that wasn't there before. I've only put about 40 miles on the car since the install - so maybe it's something that just needs to go through a few more hot/cold cycles??? I got under the car tonight after it had cooled down and checked everything I touched on Saturday. All the hanger bolts are tight, as well as the clamps. I checked the clearances between all the brackets and the pipes - all the way up to the cats - and everything seems in order. I can't make the muffler deflect enough to hit anything. I even tried thumping my palm against the pipes to see if I could get them to rattle - no dice. So, does anyone have any suggestions - something I may have missed? Should I reposition the clamps and re-tighten? Should I give it a week and see if it works itself out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: New Boom Tubes!

After listening to the sound again this morning, I am convinced it is just the rubber hanger squeaking against the new shiny goodness...which should be a real quick fix.
I assume that no one wants to answer because they feel let down that I haven't supplied pics. So, without further ado...
Old exhaust...

Comparison...

New exhaust on...

Vids later this week, I hope...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Boom tube look like Loud Mouths, are they just resonated tips?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:08 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

is the rattle omnipresent, or just sometimes? it sounds like its an over-axle pipe that's slightly off-kilter. this could be from the hangars on the boomtubes being slightly misaligned, pushing those pipes out of position. either way, the solution is to fiddle with it. get under the car, mess around with the pipes. see what works and what doesn't. make sure everything's tight, especially the clamps that connect the boomtubes to the over-axle pipes, those are critical and easy to not tighten all the way.

now, we need some GOOD QUALITY SOUNDCLIPS!!! PLEASE! OUTSIDE SOUNDCLIPS! REVVING TO REDLINE! WOT CLIPS! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

Boom tube look like Loud Mouths, are they just resonated tips?

not exactly resonators. these are different. resonators use a glass or ceramic material to dampen/tone the sound, they change the tone as well as the volume.

boomtubes are different, they have little metal rings which as you can see are set up to produce a "rifling" effect and clean up the sound. they kill any of those airy sounds as the rpm's wind down, those sounds that are annoying on the SLP's. they accurately represent the tone of the engine and you can more accurately tell what rpm the engine is at by the sound they produce; the flow of exhaust is not abated; but rather facilitated.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

is the rattle omnipresent, or just sometimes? it sounds like its an over-axle pipe that's slightly off-kilter. this could be from the hangars on the boomtubes being slightly misaligned, pushing those pipes out of position. either way, the solution is to fiddle with it. get under the car, mess around with the pipes. see what works and what doesn't. make sure everything's tight, especially the clamps that connect the boomtubes to the over-axle pipes, those are critical and easy to not tighten all the way.

now, we need some GOOD QUALITY SOUNDCLIPS!!! PLEASE! OUTSIDE SOUNDCLIPS! REVVING TO REDLINE! WOT CLIPS! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!
+1 could be the way the boomtubes are hanging, hitting something: bumper, over axle, or the hanger mounts. anyway welcome to the boomtube club, now you know your neighbors wont like you anymore, right?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onederful100

+1 could be the way the boomtubes are hanging, hitting something: bumper, over axle, or the hanger mounts. anyway welcome to the boomtube club, now you know your neighbors wont like you anymore, right?
You mean everyone on my street doesn't like that sound? What's wrong with them???

ORIGINAL: AmericanMuscle4.6GT

All I have to record with is my digital camera...but it will have to do. I promise, before the week is up, I will post a vid. I know how hard it is to find a decent sound clip of the boom tubes. I just had to rely on all the other forum members...
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

How do they sound? I am startin g to itch for something with more of a presence!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MELLOWYELLOW06

How do they sound? I am startin g to itch for something with more of a presence!
you know what the cure is for an itch, scratch it!
heres my sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBVhKqorPNc