Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory NAV GPS reception

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 PM
LaFong

Default Factory NAV GPS reception

Background:
I just received my '08 GT, with factory navigation. I have had NAV problems since then. It stopped working completely for awhile. The dealer couldn't fix it, so they brought it to some 3rd party electronics guy. It sounded as though they were messing with software upgrades. After that, it worked but the GPS signal was present only about 40% of the time (as indicated by the no signal icon). 3 days ago, it dropped out completely again. I went into the diagnostics screen, and it often showed 0 satellites and a status of "No Fix". Sometimes 1 satellite showed up, but still no fix. This is in a very open area, no obstructions. I went under the dash looking for the GPS antenna, couldn't reach it. It's pretty buried. I traced one wire from that area to a connector, and tried to push the connector a little tighter. I thought it might have helped at first, but now I don't think so. I do have tint installed, but not metallic. My handheld GPS indicates similar reception inside or outside of the car, so that should rule out the tint.

Question:
Factory NAV owners, what has been your experience with your NAV? Any dropouts? Have you done a satellite count? You can check this in the diagnostic screen, which you get to by pressing and holding the '3' and '6' radio preset buttons simultaneously while the car is stopped. How many satellites have you gotten, max? When it's working, I think my max has been 5, but usually I only get 2 or 3. (I get up to 10 satellites on my handheld).
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Factory NAV GPS reception

+1 for aftermarket...have them take it out and give you the money back. Take the money and go aftermarket
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a simple signal level issue to me. Perhaps the antenna cable has been nipped or something along it's route.I would have thought a simple test for the "tech" would have been to patch in a spare antenna for test purposes, a 20 minute job at most [&:]
Old 11-09-2007, 11:55 PM
LaFong

Thanks. I'm hoping another factory NAV owner could tell me how many satellites I should expect to see.