Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRRP CAI & B A M A Chips Tune - So So Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:33 AM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Default FRRP CAI & B A M A Chips Tune - So So Performance

Let me give a little history and what's been done to the car...

So I have a White 2006 GT 5 spd with about 6300 miles on it, the car is about 14 months old, about six months after I bought it, I went and got the M-2006-FR1 kit, which was a great improvement, exhaust sound just perfect, the CAI from Steeda was the best laid out from my perspective.

A few months after that I went and bought B A M A chips tunes and sct2 tuner (tunes: 89 perf, 91 torq, 91 perf), I had to use the frrp tuner to reset the car back to the factory tune and then retune with sct2.

From my perspective there does not seem to be an improvement between the frrp tune or b a m a tune, so I kept reading and noticed that the steeda hi-flow inlet jet might resolve the problem, so i go to cal-mustangs (a few miles from me) and pick up the inlet jet, an hour later I retune the car with the 91 torq and I did notice a little difference, but still not much enough to justify.

There seems to be a lag still with the car, performance is better than factory, but NOT that much better, my brother has a 2006 also with the C&L CAI and the canned tune and his car performs MUCH better than mine.

So I am at a loss here, b a m a chips takes quite a while to respond to emails and it has been quite a while, not really fair to go back to them after so long and tell them that the tune was a poor performer, so I am not really sure what to do, is the brenspeed tune better?

What about a local dyno shop in So Cal (San Gabriel Valley / Inland Empire) anyone know where I can have it dyno'd?

I don't know...it's just the car lacks umph...

- Mark
Old 11-10-2007, 12:56 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: FRRP CAI & B A M A Chips Tune - So So Performance

Wow, thats unfortunate, I had the FRPP Power Pack FR1 pkg too. I changed out the stock rubber inlet elbow w/ a Steeda plastic one, and re-flashed to stock, then had a custom SCT tune installed....Night & Day, complete 180 degree difference from the FRPP!!! Then again I have an auto so it's more dramatic I guess. The car went from being warmed up from stock to an animal!

I'm no tuning expert, but I'd rather have a shop do one, and tweak it as needed, after test drives and/or dyno rather than a mail order canned tune, just how I feel...

There should be a real difference, good luck in whatever you do.

BTW I chose a 93 Octane tune, also all of the "throttle lag" is gone, as soon as you touch the gas pedal, the car lurches forward, thank God that's gone!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Something wrong here. Your car should feel like a totally different car with that tune, there shouldn't be any Throttle Lag either. Try going back to Stock and re-entering the Tune.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

Something wrong here. Your car should feel like a totally different car with that tune, there shouldn't be any Throttle Lag either. Try going back to Stock and re-entering the Tune.
I took your advise and tried to go back to stock:
- so the first step I did was try to go back to factory using the Pro-Cal tool that came with the FRRP kit and it did not work, I got errors.
- next step, used the Pro-Cal tool and retuned using their "performance mode" and it worked, car started everything running
- then I got out the SCT2, tried to do a 91 torq tune (loaded successfully), then tried to start the car, no go
- then used the SCT2 and restored to the saved factory and the car started
- tried all three tunes again (89 torq, 91 torq, 91 perf) with the SCT2 (loaded successfully) and the car did not start
- went back to factory using SCT2 (loaded successfully) and the car started
- tried to use the Pro-Cal to go back to factory and it failed
- went back to SCT2 factory and car started

Looking back at the steps, I believe that none of Doug's tunes ever loaded successfully, because the first day the SCT2 came, I went and tried to upload a 91 perf tune, but the car would not start, forgetting that I originally used the Pro-Cal and I was running in the "performance mode"
I should have put the car back to stock using the Pro-Cal tool, tried to load the SCT2 tune, saving stock first and then loading one of the tunes from Doug.

So I ended up sending Doug at B A M A an email and I am now waiting for response

- Mark

Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Very starnge I did the b@m@ tune and c&l and it is night and day difference. Hopefully doug will be able to help you out. So far I have been very happy with his tunes on my 06.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Anyone have any idea what Doug's phone number is?

So last night I went and tried all 3 tunes again and with Doug's tunes the car does not start. If I go back to factory the car starts and runs.

Very strange that a business like b@ma does not have a phone number listed anywhere...

Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

How about going with Brenspeed. It is the best tune anyway and I have tried ba M a chips and evolution.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

How about going with Brenspeed. It is the best tune anyway and I have tried ba M a chips and evolution.
I found his phone number (205) 302-0231, called it and it goes to a voicemail that does not accept voicemail.

I might have to end up going with Brenspeed, this sucks...I dropped $409 on an SCT2 and 3 tunes...oh well live and learn, but it is really disappointing.

I look back at the situation and it's my fault because I did not follow through sooner, I'll wait a few more days and we'll see if I get a response from Doug.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Try again tommorrow. They may be closed for Veterans Day.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:12 PM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I'll wait for a few more days...but if response is slow or non-existent, I will have to find an alternative.
Deciding to work on the problem and trying to find a solution on Veteran's Weekend is not the ideal time anyhow :-)

Quick Reply: FRRP CAI & B A M A Chips Tune - So So Performance