Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas prices and the new Musclecar era

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas prices and the new Musclecar era

The V6 isn't too bad on the gas
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Gas is already at $4.50 / gallon here in Canada already. Has been for a while. It's not stopping anybody from driving performance cars. Most people here don't use them as daily drivers though. Instead they drive SUV's that get worse mileage than most performance cars, even modded ones.
I really don't think higher gas prices will stop most people from enjoying a hobby. It might force some people to make more intelligent choices with their daily drivers though and get some of the Hummers and other large SUV's to be used for that they were made for and not commuting to the office.
Also the 1970's were a very different time. In those days nobody even thought of a car as a hobby car. A car was a car and most people only had one, so when gas got expensive they just got something cheaper to run. There were also a lot fewer choices in those days. Basically all north American product was crap at that point. The Japanese didn't have a lot to offer until later. So all you could do was get a smaller one (north American car) that used less fuel not because it was designed better but because it was lighter.
At any rate I don't think we will see a repeat of the 1970's. That's my two cents.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
underbird10
3rd Gear Member

My GT gets better highway mileage than my SportTrac and is equal to my Escape w/ the 3.0. However, since my Stang is a 5 speed, and traffic really sucks here on my 50 mile daily commute, I'm thinking about trading the SportTrac on a new Mazda3 Hatchback since it's "still in the family" and it gets around 30 MPG on the highway.

UB10
Old 11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Get a cai and tune and your mpg will go up along with the gas price.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I have no choice but to drive my stang...so I'll be making some righ oil folks richer if the price goes up...
Old 11-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Everytime I hear someone say tree hugger, I think of Cartman, from South Park. Cracks me up. But whatever the gas costs, we'll pay....what choice do we have.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

This camaro is some car! It gets 25 mpg, has 425 HP, costs $30,000. Can't wait until they actually build and sell one.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:20 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rt1Rebel

I have a sneaking suspicion that with crude going over $100 a barrel and gas prices creeping toward $4 a gallon and likely to go to $5, we might see the end of what we love. The new Camaro and Challenger could fail before they ever even hit the showrooms, and the Mustang might fade from what it is now instead of jump into the HP race. Sure, there will be enthusiasts andcollectors and weekend car buyers that would love to have these cars, but the sales numbers will not add up. I saw this happen in the 70s.
This is very different than what happened in the 70's and the cars are different. They no longer get 5mpg, I have 510hp and get 25mpg on the highway, the technology is there to build high performance cars that get very good mpg.

I also keep hearing about Europe pays 5 to 8 bucks a gallon so we should just get over it. Their economies adjusted for high gas prices over 27 years ago, our economy has not so the idiots who use that can blow. My sister is a mother of 2 and can't afford the spikes because her income doesn't go up enough to cover it. Speculators should be slapped and the same goes for Congress, China is going to use the law of the sea treaty to go for oil (actually they'll do it anyway, same goes for Russia)and is at this time making deals with Cuba and others to start their own drilling yet Congress and the wing nuts within won't let us drill off our own shores or on our land.

Ethanol isn't going to help even though it could help me make another 60hp but that's another topic...

Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Required Driving per week:

47 mi City (4.7 mi oneway to work)
Mustang GT gets 19 mpg.
Focus gets 23 mpg.
2.5 Gal vs 2.0 Gal

Optional Driving:
30 mi city
1.6 gal vs 1.3 Gal

Optional Driving 60 mi Highway Trip (30 each way).
Mustang GT gets 28 mpg
Focus gets 36 mpg.
2.1 gal vs 1.7 gal

So for my personal enjoyment I buy the extra 1.2 gal a week.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Must be nice -- what planet are you on?? [8D]It's pricy on earth

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

gas here is slightly under $3 a gallon. no where near $4

Quick Reply: Gas prices and the new Musclecar era