Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

probably going to be a flame fest.. buttttt <<<BULBS ARE IN !!!>>> LOOK AT FIRST POST

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: probably going to be a flame fest.. buttttt

hell yeah baby
post pics

Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

+1 for the LED's in the map light -- I thought about doing mine too...
Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Sounds like a Bordello, or a crime scene with all that red you've got going on, but whatever floats your boat, I guess. Aren't the map light lenses tinted from the factory? With red bulbs it would be pretty dim, reminds me when I worked in a print shop and was processing film in a darkroom with it's red lighting.
Your car, your taste, and that's a good thing, because it would be a boring place if we all looked and acted alike. Post pix, I'm curious to see it.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

well, they use red lights in submarines for a reason, right? go for it
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

as i was surfing through flea-bay, i saw these "super sweeet" blue led bulbs for the map lighiting.. well we all know thats rediculous, and wouldnt think twice about putting those in..

BUTT..

then i got the idea.. allright.. to start, i have my, mycolor set to red, my pillar guages are red, and the rest of the car has red accents all over it.. (red calipers, red under the hood, fittings, and now maybe a red strut brace.) but anyways.. ....

get ready to flame.. ............. what if i put red leds in the map lights.. i think it would actually be kina tihgt.. when i think about it.. it reminds me of like a fighter jet, or cockpit, or something.. and its not like they run constantly, so im not driving with them on, only when i get in or whatever..

now, the downside possibly, i am going to give up having a maplight, bc we all know that the red isnt gunna be worth sh*t as far as brightness or using it to see anything at night for that matter.. butttt honestly, if i ever need that light, its because i dropped something inbetween the seats, on the floor, or in back...

so flame on, tell me what you think..

Be kind of cool. Like being in a submarine during a battle stations drill. I have my color set to blue to go with the car. But, I use a headlight when I go cross country skiing at night and it has a red LED set up for night vision and works pretty well.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

In the airplanes I fly, they all use red lighting. It's not bad - at least, in an airplane where there are no competing light sources (like headlights from oncoming cars). Trying to read a map at night with only red lights, when other cars are shining their superbright Halogens through your winshield, I think everyone is probably right - the red won't be as useful as clear.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

It sounds interesting, if you barely use the map lights anyway what the heck. A further thought would be to see if there was room to put the red LED's besides the original clear bulbs and be able to switch between the two or perhaps have the reds running constantly when you're headlights are on - would give you the effect you're after &amp; keep the practicality of clear lamps too.....I'm just thinking out loud here though.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:39 AM
rehtorb
1st Gear Member

The red LED will defiantly give a good ambiance.. The next time you run into law enforcement at night you should talk to the officer in your best Isaac Hayes/Barry Manilow voice.. “Good Evenin’ Officer…”[8D][/i]
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Give it a shot and post pics when complete.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

It will improve your night vision!!! Harsh bright white lights make it more diffacult to see at night. Thats why we used red lights for everything in the military. It allows you to see but does not hinder your vision at night!!!

Quick Reply: probably going to be a flame fest.. buttttt <<<BULBS ARE IN !!!>>> LOOK AT FIRST POST