Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my pony kill me this winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default Will my pony kill me this winter?

hello all:

last week i put my stockers back on in preparation for the oncoming nj winter season. i really don't have the extra cash to spend on a set of winter tires, but i'm beginning to get nervous. i am a careful driver in inclement weather, and i plan to weight the trunk, but will the stock pirelli's perform terribly in the snow? is it worth biting the bullet, adding more to the credit card and getting winter tires? your thoughts?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 AM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Will my pony kill me this winter?

damn dude that sucks, i would try to get some snow tire after hearing all these guys hiting guardrails in just rain...just my2$
Old 11-12-2007, 07:32 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

that's kinda what i'm worried about - yesterday i almost fishtailed making a turn going 10 mph in the rain. i can just imagine what would've happened in the snow...[&o]argg! i wanted to start saving up to lower the beast, not buy another set of tires [:@]
Old 11-12-2007, 07:52 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Get the tires if you can swing it. The horror stories you hear are mostly caused by poor driving and lack of driver experience with the rear wheel drive cars. Speed is the number 1 problem with these cars. I'd put 150 to 200# in the trunk, drive around with as near a full fuel tank as you can and get the tires if you can afford them. You will do OK if you slow down, anticipate stops and use common sense.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

My car came stock with BFG all-season tires, are the Pirelli's the summer tires?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

unfortunately my stocks are summers - there's no tread whatsoever. ahh, debt, how i hate thee!
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Get the tires if you can swing it. The horror stories you hear are mostly caused by poor driving and lack of driver experience with the rear wheel drive cars. Speed is the number 1 problem with these cars. I'd put 150 to 200# in the trunk, drive around with as near a full fuel tank as you can and get the tires if you can afford them. You will do OK if you slow down, anticipate stops and use common sense.
Exactly. I'm going to leave the stock Pirelli's on this year and see how it goes. I bought the car last March, andhaven't hadmuch chance to try it in snow, but I don't think it will be too bad.

acascianelli, the Pirelli's are "all-season", and they're supposed to be fairly decent tires.

Edit: Correction - the Pirelli's on my V6 (17" wheels) are all-season - I don't think the ones on 18" wheels aren't.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I got lucky enough to pretty much steal a 97 Civic from a family member for the winter. If I were you I would get some winter tires. Better to be safe than sorry. Last thing I want to see is another Vista Blue in the body shop. Bye the way INC003 what window louvers do you have?
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

well, i'm about to take your advice fellow pony addicts; as much as i hate adding another $1000 to my amex, safety is job#1 right? what do you think about these: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...mp;showRear=no

and matt, the louvers are from ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29
Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you MUST drive the Stang in snow, then I suggest you get a decent all season or better yet, dedicated winter tires. Tires will make the world of difference. But I don't care what tire you put on a Stang, it's not a very easy car to control in snow.

A few tips:
[ul][*]Learn how to handle your car.Go to a large, empty lot after a snowfall and "play".[*]If you think you're going slow, go slower.[*]Touch the brake and gas pedals as if they're made of eggshells. Try to start out in 2nd gear if you have a manual.[*]Leave A LOT of distance between you and the guy in front of you.[*]Give yourself plenty of reaction time.[*]If conditions are dreadful, pull into a restauraunt or mall and wait for the plows or cinder trucks. I'd rather be late than damage the Stang.[/ul]

Quick Reply: Will my pony kill me this winter?