Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a possible future 05' Stang Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
VulnoX

Default Question from a possible future 05' Stang Owner

I am waiting for a call back on financing deals, but I have some questions first.

I want an 05' Mustang pretty bad, its an amazing car, and I will be going with the V6 model (I have a 4.0L Ranger right now, and love the engine, so I am keeping it).

My top two questions are:

What real world gas mileage can I expect from it from normal everyday driving, what are others experiences I guess I am asking.

Second, How is its handling in winter? I live in Michigan, we can get our share of snow, I want to make sure I am not going to regret this when I try to drive to school and cant get out of our sub.

If I dont go Mustang, it will be a 500 or at the very lowest end, a Focus. I almost want the 500 just for the handling and room. (I often have to move 4 people).

Thats another question, how is the seating in these things for four people, average 6' tall?

Thank you all very much!
Old 03-04-2005, 06:10 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Question from a possible future 05' Stang Owner

I have a GT and I get about 17 MPG. I don't know how the V6 does but if you are trying to transport 6' tall people in the back seat it won't work. The back seat is tiny in both the GT and the V6. If you get traction control they handle decently in the snow. Hope this helps a little bit. The 500 is a nice car. It is huge inside too.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Afton

As far as mileage goes, expect 17-18 city and 23-25 highway. When it comes to transporting four people in a mustang, forget it. Unless the rear passengers are toddlers or contortionists you're just asking for trouble. I've got a GT and the best thing I ever did with the back seats was to fold them down and make more room for hauling stuff. The 500 will be a lot more practical, but you can't beat the Stang for fun factor.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13685/CD21CD867DDF407FBEA68EC208C68F0F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
VulnoX

Yes it does help, every bit of info is good.

I might just have to bite and go the way of the 500. I love the car, and really want one, but the Mustang looks great and is cheaper.

At the same time, I hate, HATE, other people driving me, and ever since I lost my Sport Trac's and went to a Ranger, I have had to drive with others when going to places that we kind of car pool in. I like being in charge of when I come and go from places, so I want to have my own vehicle that gets good gas mileage.

So maybe the 500 fits the bill.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VulnoX

I am waiting for a call back on financing deals, but I have some questions first.

I want an 05' Mustang pretty bad, its an amazing car, and I will be going with the V6 model (I have a 4.0L Ranger right now, and love the engine, so I am keeping it).

My top two questions are:

What real world gas mileage can I expect from it from normal everyday driving, what are others experiences I guess I am asking.

Second, How is its handling in winter? I live in Michigan, we can get our share of snow, I want to make sure I am not going to regret this when I try to drive to school and cant get out of our sub.

If I dont go Mustang, it will be a 500 or at the very lowest end, a Focus. I almost want the 500 just for the handling and room. (I often have to move 4 people).

Thats another question, how is the seating in these things for four people, average 6' tall?

Thank you all very much!
The short of it. There ain't any.

I love my 05 GT, but with the front seat adjusted to drive (I'm 5'11"), you can hardly get your hand between the back of the front seat, and the front of the back seat. I can set the passenger seat forward, for my son, and another kid can ride in the back. But three adults, just isn't going to happen. At least not without the front seat people having their noses on the glass.

I would really check this out. Go to a dealer, and climb in the back. As a two seater, its fine. Unlike a Vette, you can reclilne the front seats, or toss small things on the back seat.

Best of luck with your selection !!

Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 PM
Leseetsa

I have a V6. I did a check with a combo of city and hwy driving and got about 23 mpg over 100 miles.

I am tall and the driver seat is great, most comfortable one I've ever had. BUT, if you want to seat 3 more tall people, it won't be comfy for the ones in the back seat. I've sat in the back once and it wasn't impossible but I wouldn't want to spend more than a half hour back there!
Old 03-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Seriously, where did you put your legs. Was the pass. seat adjusted for the front as an adult??

I just ran my kid, and his friend to both their Moms house, and if they weren't kids, it wouldn't work.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:08 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

I used to own an SUV and I got stuck driving everyone everywhere because of the great amount of space in it. I bought the Stang so that I could tell them all, too bad so sad, no room. This car is not about hauling people it is about hauling asssssss!!!!
Old 03-06-2005, 12:32 AM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

My wife is gung-ho for letting me get the GT as it allows me to bring the kids "in a pinch" somewhere. As for long trips, our SUV will be the family vehicle. I have 3 kids and I am 6'5". I fit great in front and fit in back only if I put my legs up onto the seat beside me. Remember, it is a sports car, but unlike a 2-seater you can actually fit someone back there "IN A PINCH".

Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:26 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I was pretty surprised. Didn't really want to do it, but, I ended up going down Hwy 101 from San Jose to Hwy 46 on cruise control. Original plan was to have FUN on Hwy 1, but, the road was closed!!!!! [:@]

Anyway, spent awhile at 72MPH and a while at 75MPH at the computer was giving me reads of just shy of 26MPG! Impressed was I! Funny, north bound, two days later, it was reading just shy of 25MPG. Wonder if the curvature of the Earth had anything to do with it?

So far, I've been resetting the computer at different times and watching what is says. For a whomping V8 and a five speed, and resonably energetic driving, still in the under 1,000 "take it easy" period for me. Tomorrow I should break 1,000 miles! IN the garage at 905 miles tonight.

I have had a few times when I applied exciting combo's of throttle and gears, really nice! But, still, no redline and full throttle. Will wait for the 1,000 mile mark. Just the way I am. Maybe 975 or something if tomorrow's spin doesn't take me there.

Quick Reply: Question from a possible future 05' Stang Owner