Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPG on '05 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
BananaBender

Default LPG on '05 Mustang?

Since gas prices have risen to something like 8 $/gallon (!) in Germany, I'm thinking of equipping my Mustang V6 with an LPG injection system (tax-reduced LPG is less than half the price of gas).

So far I have found out that engines running on LPG may have problems with valve overheating (due to higher exhaust temperatures), and it occures more often on FORD engines due to a smaller and/or soft-metal contact area between valve disc and valve seating.
But German made FORD vehicles are usually equipped with smaller andhigher-revving engines than the 4 liter of the V6, which hardly needs more than 2500 rpm - even on the autobahn (I keep my standard cruising speed mainly around 85 mph).

[/align] Does anybody know about the quality of valves and valve seats? Will LPG get the engine in trouble? Will the use of LPG be acceptable if a valve protection system like FlashLube is being used? Any experience anyone?

[/align]
Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: LPG on '05 Mustang?

Did you consider this before you bought a sports car? Just curious...
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

$8/gallon. [>:]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
BananaBender

Well, the gas prices won't be lower if you fill a Volkswagen.
So - since I have to burn up some gas anyway in order to get to work, I figured, I might as well do it in a stylish car.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I dont really have any idea. The only propane vehicles Ive seen in the USA use a central mixer
(replaces carburetor or single point fuel injection).

No idea how you would go about converting multi point port fuel injection,

I havnt ever seen the exhaust valve issues here but we dont have the sustaned 200 km hour cruising you have there.

I know the Ford 2.3L runs just fine on propane in a Yale Towmotor. Its stronger than the 22R in Toyota Towmotors.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

LPG in the mustang should be okay provided someone can build it in. Todays engines handle it a lot better than the old ones. Buuut... would you want to? Extra weight, less oomph... yeah... You do the math. LPG is for wusses...
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
BananaBender

Thanx for your replies.
I see that lpg is not a big matter in the USA, if it's used there at all. (I can't blame you - with gas prices like yours it might even be fun to burn up the fuel on the autobahn.)
BTW: Extra weight is no problem - the tank fits into the space for the spare tire and the injection system is just a few pounds. And many cars run better (and faster if you wish) on lpg - besides you can switch back and forth between gas and lpg as you wish. Multipoint injection system are for sale here everywhere, especially the Dutch are leading in this technology.
But several engines - Ford and some japanese - got valve problems, maybe Mustang cyclinder heads are tough enough for the use of lpg, but I'd rather find someone with knowledge or experience. (I think you don't really want to know what Europeans think about the quality of American cars.)
I know that several of the imported Mustangs in Europe have been equipped with lpg injection systems. Maybe someone from somewhere around here (Europe) can share some experience?