Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone gone turbo?

That wouldn't happen to be Adam (ST Motorsports) & Tony (from Larry's Transmission) would it??

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

There is no doubt for ultimate track performance a turbo set-up is better suited, but none of you guys are going for 'ultimate track times'.

If you want to be deep in the 10's and that's your goal (it should be for most cause once you hit 9.99 - the requiremnts on the car practically kill it for a street car anymore) than a TS blower is the best choice IMO.

I drive my car everyday and I am in the high 9's. Granted my car is pretty unique but there are several TS guys From Adam's (ST Motosports) shop with 10 sec daily drivers.

I only know of 2 S197 turbo cars that can run the numbers I do and neither of them can daily drive their car like I do with big power...

Personally, I wouldn't consider a turbo set-up unless I wanted a trailer car for 8's or better.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

In addition to them, let's not forget, Dean, Ken, and Paul - and these are just the local guys. He's got cars on the east coast too...

Let's be clear, I'm not 'against' turbos! Many of you know I had 2 different turbo set-ups on my car. The problem with turbos is always going to be heat, pure and simple. Heat is the reason there will never be a turbo set-up in alcohol and top fuel racing classes.

The problem is if you want a good turbo set-up - NONE of the kits out there are worth a crap IMO. Sure, most all of them will work fine for 400ish HP, but when you start looking at a rebuild and going for big power then 1 factor all the kits share that sucks is they are AIR TO AIR COOLED. That is the flaw of the turbo kits. If you look into the NMRA and the bog power turbo kits - They are all custom kits and NONE of them are air to air cooled like all of the S197 kits are.

If you are serious about power, then you shouldn't be looking at any 'kit'. You should be consulting with a turbo race shop to custom build you a system that is both inter and after cooled.

Once you have a trailer car, I hate to tell you but 9's aren't impressive at all. What's impressive is if you can drive the car to the track and run 9's. Once you go on a trailer, you're 'expected' to be fast so you might as well go big or not even bother IMO.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

I do like the STS setup for many many reasons. If you decide to go with them let me know and I can possibly get you a better deal Also, ask some questions and I can answer them
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I do like my STS also. However I do not plan on being in the 9's or even 10's. Maybe high 10's when I'm all done, but I love driving around town so much now, I would be heart broken if I got frustrated just driving around and I had issues.

The turbo on my car now will max out @ 16 psi. I'm at 9-9.5 on the high boost setting. I'm not planning on ever running 16 psi with this motor. Eventually when I get a built motor, I probably will get a different turbo, another Garret, that is probably a tad larger. If I ever start running into issues with drivability on the street, I will back track and turn down the power.

I agree with Fordfan, TS is the way to go to make really big power that is streetable.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Simon1

There aren't as many of us that have gone the turbo route. It seems to be a little more expensive than S/C's and more complicated than most can handle.
If by complicated you mean more of a pain in the *** to install and uninstallthen I agree(STS kit excluded). Everyone talks about turbos being more efficient because of more parasitic loss from a supercharger, but the difference ain't worth it unless you are talking about losts of HP.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Dex
5th Gear Member

oh man...can we stop before this is a s/c VS turbo thread?
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Agreed. I can't strees enough that I am not 'anti turbo' at all. I actually like them.

Let's keep this thread in perspective. The OP is not aksing about a turbo set-up for some great street power. He is specifically asking for a built race/street set-up and that's where my opinions are coming from. For normal (stock motor worthy) power, most of the turbo kits are just fine and the STS seems to be a good buy. The big heat concerns of the turbo kits aren't really an issue until you start wanting to push 15+ psi. In the 7-12 psi range, most of them work just fine. My comments in this thread are my opinions based upon what the poster is looking for.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:37 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

My turbo kit has been extremely streetable. No driveability issues at all (other than being sideways at 60mph). My wife drives it all the time and has no issues. Tuning also hasn't been bad. I will be upping to a 76mm this winter and shooting for 650-700rwhp next spring. I may have a different opinion then
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Whatever you end up deciding, make sure it's right for you. We all love to hear about what others do to their ride so make sure let us know.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:38 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

With what you are looking to do I think you only have 2 options. Get the TS setup from Adam at ST Motorsports with his big throttle body and inlet to run that hp on the street or go with a twin turbo setup. As Mark states when you start getting into the boost levels needed for the power levels you desire on a single turbo setup you start running into inlet temp and drivability problems. I think a TT is the way to go as it has more potential for future power increases if you decide you want to go faster. Give Jim Napier at turbohorsepower.com a call and talk to him about twins. Jim can answer all you question and build you whatever you need.

Earl

Quick Reply: Anyone gone turbo?