Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you done the DIY Throttle response mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Have you done the DIY Throttle response mod?

At least some of us get it
Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

This ain't no BS.
Some of us had that lag even with a tune.
Not anymore, after that mod!

What is it you bring to the Forum, except calling BS on something that works?
I'm sure it works, I'm not claiming it to be BS, what I meant is why go through that extra work ( I referred to calling the extra work as BS) when instead a tune can help the lag. I did not do this pedal fix, so how can I claim it didn't work? I know there's throttle lag stock, I got an FRPP (Pro Cal) tune, less lag, but still there. Last week I got a custom tune by my local shop using an SCT2 tuner, now as soon as I press the pedal, the rpm's increase. and I go. Thats it, so I figure why go through this when a tune can do it, unless I'm missing something else here. Sorry if I used the strong adjectives.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

READ THE BLOG! I explained this several times.
"In the image above notice the circuit board with the wedge shaped carbon tracks. Notice the shiny marks on the tracks. See how they start slightly before the end of the gold track? That is your deadspace! Any movement before the very edge of the gold track will not be registered by the ECU!!!
THE ONLY WAY to fix this is mechanical adjustment. NO amount of tuning can remove this deadspace, it’s simply impossible!"
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

My dead space wasn't noticeable enough for me to do it. Besides, i'm afraid i might drive through my garage wall if I do it.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

ORIGINAL: pascal

This ain't no BS.
Some of us had that lag even with a tune.
Not anymore, after that mod!

What is it you bring to the Forum, except calling BS on something that works?
I'm sure it works, I'm not claiming it to be BS, what I meant is why go through that extra work ( I referred to calling the extra work as BS) when instead a tune can help the lag. I did not do this pedal fix, so how can I claim it didn't work? I know there's throttle lag stock, I got an FRPP (Pro Cal) tune, less lag, but still there. Last week I got a custom tune by my local shop using an SCT2 tuner, now as soon as I press the pedal, the rpm's increase. and I go. Thats it, so I figure why go through this when a tune can do it, unless I'm missing something else here. Sorry if I used the strong adjectives.

No hurt man...
The man got a lot of crap from a couple of dudes back when he posted the original thread. Your adjectives are not strong compares to what he herd, believe me.
The reason whyI take his position is because I hate people putting down others that are trying.
If his mod didn't work, I still think he was right for the idea.

Read more about it, because the tune is not the answer for the lag itselfon 05/06 cars, depending on the unit they have.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I'm not sure I want to go to doing this mod just yet. There doesn't seem to be much of a dead space on my gas pedal (there IS a dead space, but not the 1/2" that most people seem to have). Maybe I've lucked out and I've got one that's in tolerance? Besides which, I'm trying to teach my gf to drive a manual, and it's either my GT or our 1967 Jaguar E-Type that's a manual (which I'd rather not take the chance of her wrecking - it's a LOT more expensive to repair the Jaguar than it is my GT, should something go wrong). I'd rather have that little bit of give to get used to before trying to drive it with a MUCH more sensitive pedal than she's used to.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

I did it, and it absolutely DOES take care of a problem.

When I first purchased this car, it was hard as hell to drive. The reason was I couldnot get it to go from a stop without really getting into the gas pedal, SO...I bought an SCT tuner from brenspeed, and a C&L intake, and Corsa Axle-back mufflers. I thought this would certainly make the car go when stopped.....it didn't. This car was so bad that I really hated driving it anywhere that would have to stop many times....then I read Tubes post......I knew he was onto something.

I went and took the gas pedal out (takes about 5 minutes), took the pedal apart, I could SEE where the brushes were starting on the plastic....so I straigtened them out a bit, put the box back together, put the pedal in the car, and it's like a completely different car.

Now here's something I learned in the process.....When I was putting the sensor back together I realized that the holes on the side were elongated.....which meant they are made to be able to ADJUST this, without bending the brushes, so I would have certainly done that first if I had it to do over....but none-the-less......This is a fix that is NOT fixable with a tuner.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:29 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

No need to do this adjustment.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Ive read this and a lot of the last post and didnt see the answer. But why is there so much dead space stock, and can removing this deadspace cause any dmg to the board, such as shorting it out if done incorrectly? or cause any problems of having a "stuck" throttle if any of the tabs get stuck or bent? -Jon
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i believe in the original post, one person did it and got a CEL...he had to go back and bend them again and then had no problems, so yes if you are not careful you can have problems

Quick Reply: Have you done the DIY Throttle response mod?