Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you done the DIY Throttle response mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Have you done the DIY Throttle response mod?

Dude. It's not hard. Take a pair of pliers with a flat surface on the jaws, grab the wires, squeeze them, and remove the bend. This honestly isn't that hard. You don't need a microscope.

You can see what I used in my photos, they weren't very small, they just had a flat surface on the jaw.
If you don't remove the bend, nothing will happen.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:02 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I will try again tomorrow when I have more time. I was just a little shocked at the small size, so I tried to be extra careful to not break off the wires. I am not sure how much abuse they can take. Maybe I'll take some pics too to show everyone how small that part is.

Also, if you undo the other torx screws instead, there is no rubber gasket to worry about. EDIT: Actually the rubber gasket is there.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

The wires are tough, they're made to scrape back and forth against that circuit board eighty billion times, don't worry about hurting them unless you're being really rough..[:'(]
Old 12-07-2007, 11:58 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I tried the throttle mod again today. I straightened out the brushes and bent the brush brackets out to compensate, but I must have bent them too far. When I drove the car it was lunging a lot at low rpm's.....like I'd give it gas, it would pick up rpm's for a second, and then the rpm's would go down, and I'd have to give it more gas. I had my left foot ready to press the clutch at a moment's notice in case the throttle went haywire. I came home and took it apart again and saw that one individual brush wire was bent down all the way. I guess this was confusing the car. I bent it back up using tiny tweezers, and then I used the tweezers to straighten all the brushes and bend the brackets back (I think they were applying too much pressure when in use). I reinstalled it and took it for another drive. It was very very smooth and easy on shifts. It fixed my deadspace as advertised. Thanks to tube for this idea.

I will still be keeping a close eye on my throttle just in case I've ruined the brushes. Once they get a little mangled, it's very difficult to get them realigned and straight. Good thing there are lots of them.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:31 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

LoL. Sweet. Vote in the poll.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I voted previously. How can I change my vote to yes?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 PM
tplwhitegt
1st Gear Member

Sweet I will for suredo the mod this weekend. I have a bad dead space issue. You know its just like my old electric race car tracks as a kid with the hand held trigger with brushes inside.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I'm wondering if a safer alternative would be just to drill out the screw holes a little so that the cover to it can be adjusted in the proper direction to get rid of the dead space. If I had it to do over, I'd probably try that instead. Those brushes are tiny.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Somebody did a write up on this a couple of months ago. Technically there's no tune that can take care of this problem because just like the guy explained the throttle does not open up till after those little contacts start touching the plate which means if there's no connection no tune will ever fix it. However, I don't see it as an issue on my car and don't think in my case it's worth messing with, with a possible chance of breaking something. The write up is pretty detailed, but ish happens