Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Hookup - What are my choices?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: iPod Hookup - What are my choices?

Look what I found by typing iPod in the search field: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153337432303

I have this...I use this...I love this...I have had no problems with it for over a year now. There are a few good products out there.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

As I posted in a different iPod thread, the choices that I am aware of at the moment are the Peripherial solutions one or one from brandmotion. The PIE one is $75 cheaper, but is the one that I had to remove after it blew my dash lights and warning lights out. In all fairness, this was the older version that they eventually had to pull from the store shelves and evidently they have worked out the "bugs" and have re-released it. I didnt pull the link out for brandmotion (I'm being lazy), but just do a search on "brandmotion" and you should find their website.

While there are lots of other options (for those who are looking to run it out of their new aux input in the armrest) personally, I think these are a BAD idea. Controls for the iPod that run through the radio are distracting enough. Ones where you just power the iPod through the car, but still need to have it in hand to make changes (whether at a stop sign or whatever) are a pain. I have seen both installed in the past and when I bought my brother a PIE to upgrade his from the other type, he was resistent at first, but within like 5 minutes of the new one installed he agreed ones that are run through the radio are MUCH better and more importantly SAFER for the typical person. We all start out with the "I'll only use it to change it when I'm at a stop" excuse, but that eventually changes and I think can lead to the higher possibility (in my opinion) to an accident. As a 13 year vet of the fire dept I cant tell you how many "cell phone" accidents I have run that involved serious injury and even deaths. Doyourself a favor, spend the additional money and get one that lets you put the ipod in the glovebox where it belongs and navigate its songs to listen to through the radio.

Andretti
Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

When I first got my car I thought great, it has an aux input for my Ipod. After using it I realized that it doesn't charge the Ipod so it's basically useless! I went ahead and changed out my head unit to an Alpine iax-d001 w/ the direct ipod link that uses the 24-bit d/a converter in the HU. That thing is awesome! 32GB memory stick in the glove box and all my music is there all the time. And I can search through the1000 or so songs in minutes. Thats the best device ever made for Ipod. I've got some pics of it in my car if you want a look.

As for FM transmitters, I've tried about a dozen of them until I located this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140394452644

It's expensive but works great. Clean sound and it charges the ipod when in the dock.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

What about just using an iTripFM modulator?
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I had an ITrip and hated it. Returned it immediately.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rubrignitz

When I first got my car I thought great, it has an aux input for my Ipod. After using it I realized that it doesn't charge the Ipod so it's basically useless! I went ahead and changed out my head unit to an Alpine iax-d001 w/ the direct ipod link that uses the 24-bit d/a converter in the HU. That thing is awesome! 32GB memory stick in the glove box and all my music is there all the time. And I can search through the1000 or so songs in minutes. Thats the best device ever made for Ipod. I've got some pics of it in my car if you want a look.

As for FM transmitters, I've tried about a dozen of them until I located this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1140394452644

It's expensive but works great. Clean sound and it charges the ipod when in the dock.
Yes, please post pics of the stereo.

I just got a Brandmotion unit in (the PIE aux units BLOW!!!! Mine died when it was only 3-4 months old, and it was flaky to begin with), but if I'm not happy with that one, then the next step will be replacing the HU.

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:08 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Here you go. Gave me a nice little slot under the HU for storage too. Comes in really handy because these map pockets are really useless!

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/CB6D983EEC584C54A2EEB687514E3635.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/73912/854E1D9724584D1BAC174E0D80B9CA81.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Couple more ?'s - does that receiver have a remote? How much was it? And how much was the 32GB memory stick?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

It's also got modular add-ons for HD/satellite radio, hands free cellular and other things like an EQ etc. I've got the hands free KCE-300BT add-on. When I got the five speed car, I decided that I had to have a hands free system. Works great with my Moto razr phone.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

Couple more ?'s - does that receiver have a remote? How much was it? And how much was the 32GB memory stick?

Thanks!
There is a remote but it's a generic Alpine that doesn't afford for the ipod controls on this unit. You can only adjust volume and go forward/backward on songs. I wish there was one that integrated all the controls because I would def purchase it and find a way to mount on my steering wheel. With the way this thing selects/searches/plays music, I don't think a fully compatible remote exists.

The unit was ~$300 on ebay, another $200 for the hands free and I had my whole system installed at once which was $800 just in labor alone. I would think that you could get the unit professionally installed for about $100 or so.

The memory stick was ~$250 at newegg.com.

Quick Reply: iPod Hookup - What are my choices?