Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit

Well, after previous success and great experience with Retro-solution.com's high output HID kits on my other cars, i decided to buy 2 H13 bixenon kits for the stang and Expedition. 6000k for the stang, 5000k for the expedition.

The owner of the site, Todd Strong, established his business from developing HID kits and retrofit fabrication work. He started on Clubrsx.com's forums when he retrofitted other RSX'ers headlights, and then slowly went into the whole HID business searching for quality kits to sell. He does not sell the cheap China junk, and backs up all of his kits with warranties. I've grown to know him a bit personally off the RSX forums and he is very knowledgeable about the Lighting topic.

Well, onto the kit itself. Here's a description of the kit:
Our exclusive 55 watt high-output DIGITAL ballasts will offer 30-40% more light than the standard 35watt setup. Ballasts are 100% digitally controlled, extremely high efficiency, waterproof, require under 2A of current, and very low starting current for flawless plug and play operation! Bulbs are rated at 3500 hrs., with the least variance available on the market, all within +/- 100 lm and +/- 200K CCT

All items are brand new and come with 2 DIGITAL waterproof 55 watt ballasts, 2 55 watt bulbs, mounting brackets, adaptors, and a LIFETIME WARRANTY all in an attractive metal case! CE and UL safety listed, ISO registered manufacturing, E4 mark.
Originally, i was using Hella HIDs on the RSX, and as they aged and i felt like replacing them. Just when Todd introduced the "high output" kit, i and some fellow friends picked up the kit in a group buy. Boy, they outperformed Hella and McCollough that i have used in the past. Not to mention having a FINE cutoff line to prevent glare.

Now i've seen other kits trying to be sold on this site, but most are not BIxenon. Meaning this kit retains the use of high beams AND is higher output than the standard 35w kit. So yes, this kit is straight plug n play, no negatives of losing your high beams. Don't forget the lifetime warranty. All it cost me was $200 for Bixenon. $160-180 for single beam, not sure on that one.

Now onto some pictures of it on the Mustang! Sorry for some pics, cannot get the best quality
Comes in a nice box!

Crap stocks

Stock vs. HID (flash on)

flash off

Low beam

High beam

RSX pics
Hella 4300k on the left, Retro HO 6000k on right

Yup, the one on the right is the 4300k Hella. Sad aint it?

Will post more pics soon! Still gota install for the Expedition!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:13 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit

Wow that looks good. The cut off doesn't seem to bad either.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

You need to get this guy as a sponsor/vendor! I love those lights and just sent a PM to you for the specifics. Thanks
Old 11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Pictures really dont do justice. They are 10x better in person. Drove around last night and damn they light up everything.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

These are available for the new Mustangs (H13 bulbs)for $200 - BiXenon?? Seems too good to be true. AND a lifetime warranty!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:11 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

One more question - do they blind on coming drivers?
Old 11-18-2007, 01:31 PM
thaztrain35
2nd Gear Member

http://www.retro-solutions.com/55watthighoutput.html

is that what you got?? i dont see a choice of H13...
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

UPDATE ON INSTALL PROCEDURE!!!! i forgot to mention this during the install procedure, you need to remove the red ring gasket thing off the stock bulb base and put it on the HID bulb base. Doing so will seal and secure the bulb tightly. Without it, it will be loose. However, i did not do this procedure on my Ford Expedition's H13 setup, but it still fit. Something about our mustang's headlights required the additional gasket off the stock bulb.

Red gasket pulled from stock bulb base with small flathead.

Stock gasket placed on new bulb

Old 11-18-2007, 10:55 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

One more question - do they blind on coming drivers?
Noticed how i parked the car facing a wall? I turned on the stock headlights, and drew a line where the stock cutoff was before removing the stock bulbs. I then proceed to install the HID's at that parked location. After install, i turn on the headlights and check the cutoff to see if it still matched stock cutoff. For me, yes it did. But if it did not, all you would need to do is adjust that little screw on the headlight to reaim the headlight.

On the stock bulb, i noticed that there is a painting or some kind of coating on the tip of the bulb. Which i guess prevents unnecessary lighting. The HID bulbs do not have this coating at the tip, so it may be very bright to look at. It should not blind oncoming drivers if ur headlights are aimed correctly, and i havent been flashed or high beamed by oncoming traffic yet either. If anything, u could aim it slightly lower. Again, these are HIGH OUTPUT HID's, not your regular 35W setup. You WILL be noticed . I'd say 6000k is perfect for the S197.

Here is the 5000k i installed on the Expedition. Its pretty much pure white. I did not want the "tuner" HID look like the mustang on the SUV. I wanted the best output for offroading. I aim currently waiting for Retro-solutions.com to ship me the 3000k HID kit (35W) for the fogs.

Stock bulbs, camera flash on.

5000k H/O bixenon, flash on.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:58 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

Well, onto the kit itself. Here's a description of the kit:
Our exclusive 55 watt high-output DIGITAL ballasts will offer 30-40% more light than the standard 35watt setup. require under 2A of current, and very low starting current for flawless plug and play operation!

Uh... Last time I checked, it's not possible to be running at 13.8 volts, draw under 2 Amps, and still be 55 Watts...

Watts = amps X volts...

13.8 X 2A doesn't equal 55...

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Retro-Solutions Digital 55W BIXenon HID kit