Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAI + tune = Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI + tune = Wow!

ORIGINAL: Drew47000000

Sorry guys but I gotta play devils advocate on this extremely popular topic! You see I've got a buddy whos got the same mustang gt as me but his is a year newer, and hes got the CAI/Cold air combo and I dunno If its worth it when he's only about 2 tenths of a second quicker than me at the quarter mile. If it were about half that price I think I would be more likely to consider it, but for over $600, I personally cant justify it,. Not to mention those results are when you have enough room to speed up to a little over 100 mph, throughout my course of driving getting up to 100 is far and few. I have the pypes h pipe and slps for those of you wondering...
Mustang GT $25000
Shelby GT500$47500 (National Average)

The best stock runs I know of.
Mustang GT = 13.2
Shelby GT500 = 12.4

So $22500/8 = $2812.5 per 1/10

...and your complaining about $300 a tenth?

The cars vary a good bit in what they get from aTune + CAI.
Ive seen anywhere from 0.2 - 0.5 on same day tests.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:32 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Sorry guys but I gotta play devils advocate on this extremely popular topic! You see I've got a buddy whos got the same mustang gt as me but his is a year newer, and hes got the CAI/Cold air combo and I dunno If its worth it when he's only about 2 tenths of a second quicker than me at the quarter mile. If it were about half that price I think I would be more likely to consider it, but for over $600, I personally cant justify it,. Not to mention those results are when you have enough room to speed up to a little over 100 mph, throughout my course of driving getting up to 100 is far and few. I have the pypes h pipe and slps for those of you wondering...
Well, for me, I don't care that much about quarter mile times. I do care how responsive the car is, though. And the Brenspeed tune does improve the responsiveness of the car. It's just not sluggish like it was before the tune. As the saying goes, YMMV. Speaking of which, did I mention that it gives you better gas mileage? LOL
Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

ORIGINAL: slvrstang2007

I'm sorry I went with brenspeed tuner, i should have gone with bama, waited 3 weeks for CAI and tune and the F'N TUNE WONT LOAD ON MY CAR NOW!!!!! very irritated right now im not a patient person, and reading this thread make me want this piece of crap to work err!
I feel your pain. I had trouble waiting the week and a half it took to get the stuff from Brenspeed. And then I had to wait most of a week to have the time to install it.

I think I remember seeing a posting from you about your problem before, but I don't remember the details of what happened. The guys at Brenspeed seemed very helpful. Have you tried calling them? They claim that they can get you going again even if Ford has reflashed your computer without telling you, which is one thing that I know can cause you a problem.

At any rate, sorry you're having trouble. I understand that B A M A is great stuff, too.

Yes I hear their customer service is great, I'd love to call them but by the time I figured out it didnt work it was 730 friday night and they were closed, lol thats my luck its been a very long weekend so far, i've never looked foreward to monday like I am right now. The problem was with the tuner when I tried to load it I got a "powerup msg. timeout" and then it just goes back to the main menu, i'll just have to wait till monday i guess to find out, hope I dont have to send the tuner all the way back to Indiana i think is where they're located I'm in CA.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:53 PM
JMono
1st Gear Member

The tune definitely made my car quicker, but I think I equally like the improved driveability. The annoying throttle lag is really at a minimum now. I could not stand shifting into the next gear, hitting the gas and waiting a second for the motor to respond with the stock tune (during normal street driving). My car's throttle response now feels like the mechanical throttle I had for six years in my old '00 Mustang GT. For that reason alone, the aftermarket tunes are worth the money.

If you want to save some money and gain better driveability and more power, you could skip the CAI. The majority of the "wow factor" comes from the tune, not the CAI. You could pick up a used xcal2 and purchase a 93 octane tune from Brenspeed for a total $250-275 and just run you stock air box. You would still notice a big difference.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Tune w/o a CAI?... That's just not right... LOL!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Congrats!
CAI & tune--- FTW
Old 11-17-2007, 10:24 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the tune, yes they do make these cars more fun.....lol
@drew47 with a bunch of zeros' it isn't the .2 in the 1/4 its the overall drivability and fun of the car, Besides under the hood looks better too.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: rmays06

Congrats on the tune, yes they do make these cars more fun.....lol
@drew47 with a bunch of zeros' it isn't the .2 in the 1/4 its the overall drivability and fun of the car, Besides under the hood looks better too.
This guy gets it