Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for fellow SoCal peeps...or police

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 PM
NamelessLiar
1st Gear Member

Default Question for fellow SoCal peeps...or police

Ok so I'm minding my own business driving down 101 and a CHP Bike Cop pulls me over (I'm in the middle of traffic NOT speeding) he says the reason he pulled me over is because of my illegal tint. (For the record I knew it was illegal when I put it on and I accept the gamble that I took) But then he writes me tickets for having a front license plate cover (look at my pics and you'll see that it is very much transparent) and he also wrote me a ticket formy tail light covers (GTS covers)

Here's my question, are these things actually illegal? Has anyone else had any problems with the same mods? How much is the tint ticket if I don't fix it? Ugh, he's given me a headache....
Old 11-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question for fellow SoCal peeps...or police

no pics... can't tell what you're talking about.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NamelessLiar

Ok so I'm minding my own business driving down 101 and a CHP Bike Cop pulls me over (I'm in the middle of traffic NOT speeding) he says the reason he pulled me over is because of my illegal tint. (For the record I knew it was illegal when I put it on and I accept the gamble that I took) But then he writes me tickets for having a front license plate cover (look at my pics and you'll see that it is very much transparent) and he also wrote me a ticket formy tail light covers (GTS covers)

Here's my question, are these things actually illegal? Has anyone else had any problems with the same mods? How much is the tint ticket if I don't fix it? Ugh, he's given me a headache....
Can't speak for socal but here in NY we are not allowed to cover our plates with anything even if it's clear. You also cannot cover up or change the colors of you lights either(ie taillight cover, headlight covers, etc...). These parts are sold as off-road use only by their manufacturers typically. So if the laws are anywhere near the same then yeah they are illegal. You can look up the exact law you broke by just doing a google search on what the cop put on your ticket. Good Luck..

Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Everything he wrote you up for is illegal in the state of California. I've gotten those tickets before.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:51 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Yep altering the lights by putting tint on them and covering up the license plater will get you tickets in some states....now you should be able to take it all off and protest the ticket if you wish, but as you stated you knew that you could get a ticket for what you did so paying the ticket and risk getting pulled over again is probably the choice of many
Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ANY license plate cover is illegal. It can distort the light to prevent a cop from being able to read it at certain times of the day.

As for light covers, the legality of that depends on where you're at in So Cal. I know in Huntington Beach the cops out there are constantly wanting to write tickets for stuff like that. I haven't ever seen or heard of anyone getting stopped for it here in San Diego area, though...I'll have to ask a cop next time I see one.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Yeah. I am preety sure those things are not legal everywhere.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:04 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2GKT5

Everything he wrote you up for is illegal in the state of California. I've gotten those tickets before.
+ 1. It's all illegal.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:07 PM
stangboy555
2nd Gear Member

What a *****.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2GKT5

+2

Quick Reply: Question for fellow SoCal peeps...or police