Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust on bottom of brand new GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Mustang_Danny

Default Rust on bottom of brand new GT

So the other day I heard a loud bang next to my car as I was entering the highway, so when I got back home I decided to look under the car to make sure everything was ok. Everything was fine, but when I looked under the car, Iwas surprised to seethat the rear axle (I'm pretty surethats what it is....sorry...not too mecanically inclined) is completely rusted over, compared to all the other parts around it, which are completelybrand new and crisp looking.I'm not even talking of rusty patches, but the entire thing is brown from the rust.[/align][/align]To me this was very odd, considering my car is an08 GT barely a monthold.To me it looks like Ford, for whatever reason, just went to a junkyard, picked up a spare piece from an old S197, and put it in my car in production. Not saying thats what happened, but that was my initial thought. Is it common for car manufacturers to use older, rustyspare partsintheir production of new cars? The look itself doesn't bother me, since its under the car. My concern is of the actual quality of the part, and whether or not it will affect performance later on. Other than the rust it looks fine to me, but again, I'm not very experienced in auto-mechanics.[/align][/align]Theres really not a whole lot I can do. Idoubt I canjust go to a Ford dealershipand tell them to take apart my entire rear-end and install a brand new rear axle just because its rusty. The first thing they'lle ask me is ifit's giving me any problems, which it is not, as far as I can tell. Would like to hear your thoughts.[/align]
Old 11-18-2007, 11:52 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rust on bottom of brand new GT

I think you're fine. My axle as well as "stainless" exhaust, along with all sorts of other things under my car all have surface rust. Believe me, it'll be a long time before that rust causes damage. I assume you've driven your car in the rain or washed it? If you haven't and its rusty then I might wonder a little. Even your brake rotors will rust within hours of being wet.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlackBetty

I think you're fine. My axle as well as "stainless" exhaust, along with all sorts of other things under my car all have surface rust. Believe me, it'll be a long time before that rust causes damage. I assume you've driven your car in the rain or washed it? If you haven't and its rusty then I might wonder a little. Even your brake rotors will rust within hours of being wet.
Actually my rotors will rust like 15 minutes after I wash the car.

And yeah I have the same problem. I am not that worried about the surface rust. Maybe one day I'll get under there and paint. Did it with my old truck and kept everything looking new and protected.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Normal, It is like that right out of the box!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:53 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I had the same thing happen to my car. I got bored a few weeks ago and spray painted it black. Ok....I got real bored, but it does look a little better now.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Surface rust is perfectly normal. specially on the rear axle and driveshaft.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Normal. I think the only thing you could do is carboline the underside as soon as you drive it off the lot. But it's surface rust and, although it looks like crap, we have to live with it or prep and paint those areaas we "can't" live with.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

It's all surface rust. Normal.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
dennysmustang

Glad you asked the question...I keep forgetting to ask myself. I live in the no rust desert of arizona and my car has never seen rain or snow and the rotors have rust on them. Thought it was just my car.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Roy
1st Gear Member

I got myself a used 05 this year, havent found any rust on it yet, havent checked the rotors tough. Anyway, I lubbered up my entire car the first thing I did, cost me like 100 bucks for a load of spray grease and an hour of my time, when I take it out in spring Im gonna do it again to be sure that I havent missed a spot.

Now I just have to get the cracks in the paint fixed before those starts to rust, I bet that will be more expensive >_<

Quick Reply: Rust on bottom of brand new GT