Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squaky seat... don't wanna go to a dealership

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default Squaky seat... don't wanna go to a dealership

About 3 weeks ago my driver's side seat started squeaking. It wasn't bad in the beginning, but withing the first week it kept getting worse and it's pretty loud now. Sound kinda like my 8 year old mattress with the metal springs in it. The sound it coming from the upper part of it/back itself. Every time I lean on or off of it, it makes that sound. It got so bad that I don't even have to be sitting for it to make that sound, I can just press on it with my hand and still hear it. Not that it's broken, it's just something that I don't really wanna be "enjoying" being in a 16 months old car. I would take the car to a dealership, but then I got 2 problems: they might have to keep the car for more than a day which means I'd have to get a rental and also I have to remove all the aftermarket parts that I got on it. I tried searching the forum for this, but the only thread I found was on that noise coming from the bottom from one of the joint and that's not my case. Can this be repaired somehow?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:53 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Squaky seat... don't wanna go to a dealership

If it was mine I would take the seat apart and find out what is causing the noise and fix it. That's exactly what some 'service person' making close to minimum wage at a dealership will do. I don't like taking my cars to a dealership and will take care of things myself unless it is major powertrainand very $$$. My experience is that most dealerships and garages do half-assed work and sometimes make the problem worse.

DIY is the way to go.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

I noticed this same thing on my drivers seat, the noise on mine is coming from the middle/lower part of the back of the seat. I have not taken mine in because it doesn't do it everytime. Seems like I have to lean or push on it just the right way. It's kind of annoying being my car is only 5 months old.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

I thought i was the only one with this problem. Mine did it for about 6 months after i bought my car it was annoying as HELL i was embarassed when people rode with me..but it stopped one day all of a sudden and it hasn't squeaked since
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

My driver's seat squeaks occasionally. Its the right side of the seat rubbing against the console whenever I move in the seat or go over a bump. I think some sort of lubricant like Armorall would get rid of it but I never got the chance to do it and the squeak hasn't bothered me for a while anyway. There is no room between the seat and the console. This is eventually going to be a place with a lot of wear both on the seat and the console. Are they all like that?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:54 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Maybe there are some real jerk dealers out there but you should understand your rights under the Mannuson-Ferguson Act. In order to deny warranty service on your seat the dealer would need to prove your mods caused the squeak. Obviously they couldn't do that, they have to service the seat. If they put up a fuss take your business and all your freinds and family elsewhere.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM
mkaishar2
1st Gear Member

I have/had the same problem, usually I have the seat set to the lowest position with the electric adjustment, so all I did was raise it a very very tiny bit and the squaking went away, it seems that the seat and electric motor underneath the seat do not have enough cleareance and the cabling is rubbing.

It was bugging me since I first bought the car...try it and let me know if that solves the problem.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

WD-40
Old 11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mkaishar2

I have/had the same problem, usually I have the seat set to the lowest position with the electric adjustment, so all I did was raise it a very very tiny bit and the squaking went away, it seems that the seat and electric motor underneath the seat do not have enough cleareance and the cabling is rubbing.

It was bugging me since I first bought the car...try it and let me know if that solves the problem.

I gotta try it because that's exactly how I got mine-- as low as possible and as far to the back as it goes. Speaking of what argonaut said, I know that seat is not related to any of the parts that I got on my car and therefore they have to fix it. But would having them see these parts cause me headache in the future. Like if they saw my intake and then 3 months later my engine went bad lets say, and they'd refuse the service because the part WAS there earlier?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Mine has started too!!! Just every now and then...

Quick Reply: Squaky seat... don't wanna go to a dealership