Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arg dead zone in steering after steering shaft removal during shortys install

Old 11-23-2007, 11:57 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Arg dead zone in steering after steering shaft removal during shortys install

Hey guys... I have a big dead center in my steering after loosening the steering rack and removing the shaft, and putting it all back together.

All I can think of is its the bolt torque, but I swear I went as far as I could...

Any ideas?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Arg dead zone in steering after steering shaft removal during shortys install

haha....we dont care about that....we just want to know what you thnk about the shorties!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Arg dead zone in steering after steering shaft removal during shortys install

I'm not sure what you mean by "big dead center" . But I had to have a Wheel alignment done after my install, 'cause the steering wheel wasn't centered properly after it was put back together.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Honestly they've surprised me. Lots of torque is back that I lost from SLP loudmouths and from CMDPs. The power increase is really noticeable, im happy with that part.I'm not saying it will be for every car, I just think my car was flowing too much non-compressed N/A air without the correct scavenging out of the head.

All popping and gurgling on de-accel is gone, which sucks, but would suggest the car is scavenging much better and pulling the leftover exhaust out of the valves before they close.

Anyways, need steering help!
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I thought it was the X-Pipe that ended the sound you're talking about. But I wasn't sure, because I had the X-Pipe and Shorties done at the same time.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:14 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

By 'dead center' I mean that when the steering wheel is centered there is dead inch to the left and right. So I have to steer an extra inch to get the wheels to start turning. Everything is centered right, its just the steering on either side doesnt start until I go an inch in either direction. And I cant hold the wheels straight either, since its dead space in the steering wheel's middle/center and an inch on each side.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:25 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

get underneath and have someone steer...you should be able to tell if the steering link moves immediately or not
Old 11-24-2007, 01:28 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Did you just tell me to let someone in my drivers seat and let them touch the steering wheel?

Ill assume you're joking.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

honestly mr red locktite
Old 11-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Matt, you have a memory like an......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arg dead zone in steering after steering shaft removal during shortys install