Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang for your BUCK??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Bang for your BUCK??

ORIGINAL: gatkins94

Actually, it depends. If you have a manual tranny, I would purchase a short throw shifter, and the best money spent there is probably a hurst.
Stay away from the cheap Hurst shifter and get a real one.

CAI and TUNE is the best bang for the buck.

ROUSH shifter:
[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/EB36904C34454925A5F64A73FA0DA9F3.jpg[/IMG]
Cheap Hurst next to the stock shifter:
[IMG]local://upfiles/69445/EDE57AA520BB487E8FE87B52B41A02F5.jpg[/IMG]
You make the choice.....
Old 11-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Superchargers are nice but you need a tuning device no matter what you do and and they can get you as much as 3/10 by themselves.
Likely only a 1/10 from the bhp improvement. Most of it comes from the elimination of torque management and allowing higher shiftpoints.
That doesnt even include the improvement in throttle response.

A Supercharger generally runs at least 10x as much. To be as big a bang for the buck you will need to pick up 3.0 Seconds from the SC.
I find this highly unlikely.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

what dose the CM delets do ? and what dose the CM do in the first place if you don't mind me asking
Old 11-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

what dose the CM delets do ? and what dose the CM do in the first place if you don't mind me asking
Look at the bottom of your platic intake manifold. See the little aluminum plates between the intake and heads? See the little arms that attach to each end of these plates? They operate butterflys inside the plate that closes off part of the port at low rpm. When at high rpm even though they are fully open they cause turbulence and restriction to the airflow. CMDP (Charge Motion Delete Plates) are simply these metal plates without the holes drilled for the butterfly shaft and no butterflys in them. A car will require a tune to run properly with these deleted.

See the following for pictures and whats involved in changing them out:

https://mustangforums.com/m_3296684/tm.htm
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

thanks for all the suggestions guys im looking for a gt right now i sold my truck about two weeks ago and fell in love with the gt's after i rode in my buddies he has 4.10 gears, Pypes Violator o/r x, diablo tuner, k&n CAI, and under drive pulleys and im pretty sure that is all..

but as soon as i get a gt ill probaly do in this order....

tuner and cai (which tuner is the best?)
under drive pulleys
short throw shifter
4.10 gears
then exaugshts last probly i heard the stock gt isn't too bad for a little while...

but supercharger is wayy out of range im only 17 soo i ain't got that kind of money laying around..
but thanks for all the input and feel free to correct me if you guys think there is a better order to do stuff in thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 01:28 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

he also has the hurst shifter....
Old 11-25-2007, 03:41 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BAD3V

ORIGINAL: rmays06

Or hell you could hang around and do a lil research to see what everyone else is talking about instead of asking the what can I do to make my car faster for the 2,467,932 time.....I dunno no one wants to read or figure it out on their own anymore.....
BTW you could always get a Xcal tune and CAI too....
I agree with everything you said, but you know how the Noobs are.

Alittle OT, but "rmays06", are you keeping the v6 or trading it in for the GT?
Trading it for the GT, I wish I could keep it for the kids but 3 car payments don't fit the budget yet....lol
Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BAD3V

Or hell you could hang around and do a lil research to see what everyone else is talking about instead of asking the what can I do to make my car faster for the 2,467,932 time.....I dunno no one wants to read or figure it out on their own anymore.....
BTW you could always get a Xcal tune and CAI too....
I agree with everything you said, but you know how the Noobs are.

Alittle OT, but "rmays06", are you keeping the v6 or trading it in for the GT?
Trading it for the GT, I wish I could keep it for the kids but 3 car payments don't fit the budget yet....lol
Yeah I dont blame you, I have 2 GT's right now and I wanna get a 3rd, but I dont know if its in the budget for next year.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rford426

tuner and cai (which tuner is the best?)
short throw shifter
I would likely go with these first.The SCT Xcal II is generally aknowledged to be a bit better for these cars than Diablo.
You also have a wider choice of tuners for mail order tunes. I would orderthe SCT Xcal II/CAI as a combo with three custom tunes already loaded. Bamachips, Brenspeed, Evolution, and VMP Tuning all come up when you are talking about the best tuner.
Ipersonally will order form VMP when Im ready. It has asmuch to dowith theirsuperior communication as anything.
As long as youmake changeswithin 6 months or orderparts from him he will update your tune for free.

The JLT II CAI is the most preferred based on cost/performance. However many prefer the looks and construction of the
C&L. I personally am going with the C&L Inlet Tube / VMP MAF Tube Combo. This combines a MAF Tube similar to the JLT with the larger inlet tube and construction of the C&L.

As to shifter, I prefer the MGW http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtmlmore than anything else Ive driven. Much stouter piece than the Hurst but its also $179. I have survived with the stock shifter so far. Mine doesnt bind like some.

There is a car on this board that has run 12.87 @ 106.7 with nothing but a VMP Tune and a K&N CAI (generally thought to be one of the less efficient CAI) otherwise stock right down to the factory Pirellis but he runs at near sea level and is one heck of a driver (1.83 60').
Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

thanks man like i said i don't have a gt YET but soon to have one just waiting for the right one...

Quick Reply: Bang for your BUCK??