Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fishtailing... what will get rid of it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:41 AM
wolfie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Fishtailing... what will get rid of it?

Dont brake in the corner, brake before you enter and accelerate through the corner.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

My car came with BFGs and I never seem to have the problems people with P Zeros have

so get BFGs
Old 11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If you're talking about constant oversteer:

1) Better tires.
2) Stiffer front shock setting.
3) Softer rear shock setting.
4) Stiffer front swaybar.
5) softer right foot.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:56 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

First off, you should never just be coasting thru a corner at speed. You should either be on the brakes, or on the gas, ideally in the pattern Wolfie said. Talk to any road racer or autocrosser.. the fastest way to come loose in a turn is to not have some sort of force on the tires, be it drag from brakes or torque from acceleration.

Fishtailing happens when the lateral inertial forces exceed the Amount of friction the tire holds on the road with. So, you have two ways of dealing with this... either reduce the inertia (i.e. slow down) or increase the friction between the road and the tire. Since it seems like you think your already going slow enough (a fact that I would say your car is disagreeing with you on since it's fishtailing), there's a lot of parts you could throw at your car... tires, sway bars, Watt's links.. anyting that will increase the traction the rear end has on the road
Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i rarely use absolute terms like "never".

whatif you are driving onsnow or rain?

try braking in a corner in snow or accelerating through a corner in rain.

sounds like he needs to be more careful and know the limits of his tires and realize he is NOT on an autocross track.

ORIGINAL: GT Bob
First off, you should never just be coasting thru a corner at speed. You should either be on the brakes, or on the gas, ideally in the pattern Wolfie said.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

It wasn't because I floored it. It happned like 3 times after I passed the turns and was getting out of them already without me even stepping on the gas.
Are we talking tire squeal sideways, or accelerating/shifting, and the car feels like a boat and the back end wiggles around a bit?

If we are talking about tire squeal/grip issues, playing with tire pressure can have a significant effect. About 2 psi different front to rear is what I use to balance my car at autocross. Make sure your tire pressures are equal, then try adjusting the front down 1 psi.

If we are talking the wiggle from shifting/accelerating, that's the panhard bar (I believe). I personally haven't fixed this yet, but a watts linkage is the answer.

Tom

Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Today I went out driving after work as always and because of something that happened (a good thing actually) I was a little hyped up so I was really pushing it as fast as I could and noticed that my car fishatailed a lot while front end was just fine. The turns I was taking were short. What's the best thing that will help me get rid of this? Wider tires (really don't wanna do that because I'd need to get wider rims), thicker sway bar in the rear or a set good shocks/springs?
"Fishtail" is when the back end goes one way, then the other way, perhaps more than once or twice.

What eliminates fishtailing is: avoid over-correcting for your original skid. What eliminates original skids is not driving too fast for your unbalanced car.

What eliminates all this on the road is for you to avoid "really pushing it". Especially when you are "hyped up". That's irresponsible and dangerous. Please leave instructions so your surviving family members will be able to come on here and tell us the date, time, and location of your funeral.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

Today I went out driving after work as always and because of something that happened (a good thing actually) I was a little hyped up so I was really pushing it as fast as I could and noticed that my car fishatailed a lot while front end was just fine. The turns I was taking were short. What's the best thing that will help me get rid of this? Wider tires (really don't wanna do that because I'd need to get wider rims), thicker sway bar in the rear or a set good shocks/springs?
"Fishtail" is when the back end goes one way, then the other way, perhaps more than once or twice.

What eliminates fishtailing is: avoid over-correcting for your original skid. What eliminates original skids is not driving too fast for your unbalanced car.

What eliminates all this on the road is for you to avoid "really pushing it". Especially when you are "hyped up". That's irresponsible and dangerous. Please leave instructions so your surviving family members will be able to come on here and tell us the date, time, and location of your funeral.

Haha.....+1!
Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

when u do it on purpose its called drifting.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:41 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

I'm just a newb and don't know squat so don't take this the wrong way, but with a rear wheel drive car, the front 'should' always feel fine if you're getting some fish tailing. I think taking it a little easy on the pedal will solve all of your problems.

Quick Reply: Fishtailing... what will get rid of it?