Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in buying a GT..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Halfgod85

Default Interested in buying a GT..

First i would like to say Hello people of the forums. Second I am sorry if this is the wrong place. I am Extremely interested in buying a 08 GT but have a couple questions. I searched but couldn't find much that answered my questions.

Well here is goes. My first question. I see what Ford says the Mpg is but how is it for a GT in actual driving conditions?
I own a 04 VW GTI turbo. Which is fun and all but i normally get around 18mpg. I've grown sick of little 4 bangers and want to try the next level of power. The mighty V8. Oh and i think the new Mustangs look sexy as hell.

I hear many friend and strangers say not to get a Mustang because it's Ford. I feel that is a little unfair. I figured i would ask the actual owners how they feel about their car. Do Mustangs really have any huge problems? I looked at the TSB's and Recalls and there are actually less the VW.

This is my last question and kind of uncommon. My current car is considered a 2-Door Sports car because it is a turbo. My insurance is not that high. Does the Mustang normally have Extremely high insurance or normal? I don't expect a lot of answers. I will call my insurance company for a idea. I just thought to ask the people.

Thank you for any help you might give. Again i am sorry if any of these questions are stupid or idiotic.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Interested in buying a GT..

My insurance is less than my truck was. The new Mustangs have alot of quality awards. They actually do have less TSBs than alot of other vehicles. price is also a huge influence for me.

Here is an example:

I got me a brand new Deluxe GT back in 2006. After taxes and all that, after taxes now, it was $24,985. You might be able to get a better deal. All mine had was the iup (interior upgrade package)(I wanted the mycolor).

The only two things I would have wanted out of the premium was the leather and the better stereo. I bought the whole leather seating for 299 (359 after shipping), and I have a stereo now which would blow away the skipper 500 or 1,000. I spent alot less by adding things myself. I also have new tires, wheels, louvbers, tune, just a bunch of crap still costing less than the premium.

In the first quarter of next year, I will be adding a shaker hood scoop, vortech supercharger, of course gauges and gauge pod, new shifter, blah blah.

In the end, after upgrading most aspects of my car, I will be putting out at least 500 hp at the crank and 420 at the wheels, with alot of other accessories, still costing me less than $35,000, including the car and after tax.

You cannot beat this car for the money.

Your buddies must be import enthusiasts, which is fine, they just don't need to be bashing something they do not know about.

- C [8D]

Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

The Stang has one of the highest satisfaction ratings. You will love the car. My insurance was also lower with the Mustang than it was with my F-150. Go test drive one.
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I just took my new 5-speed manual GT on a 270 mile road trip, mostly country roads, small towns and lots of stop and go driving. I used 5th gear any time I was above 50 MPH. I got 26.8 MPG per my on-board computer and 27 MPG doing the math at my fill-up. Pretty darn good if you ask me!
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm getting about 20mpg in mine after the intake/tune. As far as insurance, that is a very difficult question as it very much depends on your location, age, driving record, etc. It goes without saying that a Mustang GT is going to be on the higher end of insurance cost than your average car.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Sams0n
1st Gear Member

My mileage has been anywhere from 13 to 25mpg. Loads of help, huh?

And I have one of those friends that said he'd have my stang towed if it was in front of his place (he owns a camaro, Chevy guy). I let him drive it and I couldn't get him out from behind the wheel.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Halfgod85

Wow, Thanks for the replys. A lot of information. Now i'm getting more and more interested. To hear some of you get pretty good MPG. just a lot to learn. And yes Myredgt most my friends are import junkies. MyredGT is the main difference from the Deluxe and Premium the audio system?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:42 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Halfgod85
MyredGT is the main difference from the Deluxe and Premium the audio system?

No, there's actually a few differences, none of which I was interested in exceptthe two which I bought alot cheaper. Also the wheels are better and so forth, but I bought different, wider wheels anyways.

I'm not saying the premiun is bad in any way, on the contrary, it might be exactly what you want. I recommend going to a dealership and taking a look at both, deluxe and premium, see which suits you. I also recommend if the premium only has one or two things you really want, get a deluxe and buy those things later for less.

- C
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Halfgod85

Wow, Thanks for the replys. A lot of information. Now i'm getting more and more interested. To hear some of you get pretty good MPG. just a lot to learn. And yes Myredgt most my friends are import junkies. MyredGT is the main difference from the Deluxe and Premium the audio system?
The premium comes with leather seating, steering wheel and a silver shift ****/T-shifter(if auto) and the 500 watt Shaker with 6 disc in dash changer and 8 speakers. The deluxe model has cloth seats, single in dash 160 watt stereo(with4 speakers), very ugly vinyl steering wheel and black shift ****/T-shifter(if auto). The price difference is around $1800(I think) between the two. Although many addedoptions require certain premium model features that would have to be added if starting from a deluxe version.
My ex wife had a 2001 GTI turbo and while a nice car, it feels like an econo-box(which is where it derives from) compared to the GT IMO.
I have just under 15K miles in 16 months and no problems at all. For under $30K for a pretty loaded version, you can't go wrong........................
Old 11-26-2007, 05:09 PM
myredgt
3rd Gear Member

Well Iadded the iup and it gave me the better steering wheel and trim and mycolor. I still have the deluxe.

- C

Quick Reply: Interested in buying a GT..