Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood weight? stock vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hood weight? stock vs aftermarket

Compaired to most sn95 and late model mustangs, the S197 hoods generally all weigh the same.
Besides some REAL CF hoods. (VIS are not real CF hoods, dispite what most people think)
As stated above, the stock hoods are aluminum and you probably will not see much weight savings in most aftermarket hoods. The pro's for a new hood would be one that offers either specific look or some level of functionaility.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

My stock hood weight compared to my carbon fiber was VERY negligible. Look elsewhere...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:43 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

dumping weight on teh new vehicles is not as easy as previous vehicles.
But you can see weight savings from a new brake system with new calipers, BBS wheels, new coastline driveshaft.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the information everyone. I didnt know if anyone had a lightweight carbon fiber hood that was lighter than stock or not. never had any experience with them. I already have aluminum struts with fox spindles being built so that I can also run the fox body wilwood lightweight brakes, tubular aje k member and adjustable front lca's which should befinished next week and I already have the Bogart wheels, so I dont think I can get much lighter there.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM
JGT
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know about how much heavier a fiberglass hood is than the stock hood?

I am thinking about putting one of these on, but would hate to add much weight (especially in the wrong place)...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm telling you, I replaced my stock hood with a carbon fiber one and it was less than a few pounds. You can make up that weight be removing your floor mats....
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nothsa

I'm pretty sure he only removed it to install the gauge in the vent panel. I think he put it back in after the gauge was installed.

-Jeff
I put it back in. It shouldn't be that hard to remove the panel pieces from the front and fab up a plate to replace the airbag. That thing felt like it was 20lbs!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Nichepi
3rd Gear Member

unless you have an actual carbon fiber hood which in this market would be more then a grand I doubt you have a real CF hood.Besides my company I hadn't found anyone else that made REAL CF hoods in a production format at this time. Most companys have fiberglass hodos with a single layer of CF over it to give it a CF look.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

You are correct, Sir. Give that man a cigar. My carbon fiber hood is Seibon and it's fiberglass underbody/carbon upper. I'm still waiting for the fiberglass underhood attachment to give way. Gotta get those hood pins soon!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 PM
bcstang
2nd Gear Member

umm, i dunno for sure, but you would think that by the name alone....the steeda ultralite hood should save some weight. but i dont know for sure. i am however planning on getting the ultralite some time this winter so if anyone knows if it is actually lighter i would love to know.

Quick Reply: hood weight? stock vs aftermarket