Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORD CAI/Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: FORD CAI/Tune

I am looking at the JLT2/XCALfrom Breenspeed for $554. Is that a good price for this? Since winter is about 10 seconds away for me I would do it in the spring though...maybe there will be a sale...but prob not.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:24 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

I actually had the same question. It lists for about $700 which is alot but I'm willing to pay that to have it done and approved by ford. I realize it's easy to swap out a CAI and tunebut I have no desire to do that so it's worth the $$ to me.
Does anyone have this set up?

I have the FRPP setup for almost a year now, and I'm extremely satisfied with it.
Most everyone on here will tell you it's more money for less h.p. gain than other aftermarket packages- which is absolutely true.
But the other side of the coin is that it is 100% safe for your car's powertrain, a definite gain in power (I think Ford claims 19 h.p. as opposed to about 25 - 30 for other aftermarket packages), includes fabulous looking and sounding GTA axelbacks with 4" tips, and no hassles whatsoever with warranty issues!
I had a leaky tranny seal a few months ago, and just brought her in to the dealer for warranty work- no switching back & forth with CAI's and tuner re-flashes, and no stress!
It was an expensive repair, and even if nothing else goes wrong with my car in the next 2 years, I will have had my FRPP purchase justified.

Another MF member (JimsGT) also got the FRPP at the same dealer, and was happy too.
Just last month he decided to switch to a more aggressive SCT tune and was at first wildly enthusiastic about the power increase over the FRPP- but 2 weeks later he went BACK to the FRPP setup because he came to hate the jerky throttle response and chirping shifts from the other tune, and felt that the FRPP gave him the best of both worlds (power when you need it, and smooth the rest of the time)!
Long story short- while almost nobody on here will say a good word about the FRPP (except maybe Shelby GT owners- who have the exact same setup in their cars), JimsGT and I are both very satisfied with it, and will keep it on until our warranties expire.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I agree with your thinking. Ford is going to take the conservative route every time when it comes to warranty. The FRRP offers an upgrade while still allowing a warranty claim. Yes, I know you guys can and do swap tunes when heading for the dealer, but this does away with that hassle and may offer some longevity to the engine.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:16 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

The only reasons I see for the FRPP CAI and tune:

1) Like GT Newbie said, have the dealer install it, have it under warranty and avoid removing/installing when going to the dealer (it actually takes about 15 minutes to remove or install the Steeda intake with the stock air tube, so if you know how to handle a screw driver it's really not a problem)

2) You live in CA and want a C.A.R.B. approved intake a tune and again don't want the hassle of having to switch things around

But if you can hold a screw driver, don't live in CA, and want the best performance for your money, there's very little incentive to go with the FRPP kit

Couple more things:

- the FRPP tune is designed for 91 octane, so if you can get 93 octane you'll get more performance out of a mail-order or custom tune

- some tuners are more aggressive than others on the throttle response, but you can have a more agressive performance tune without the overly sensitive throttle response

To each its own [8D]
Old 12-01-2007, 12:24 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sycd

The only reasons I see for the FRPP CAI and tune:

1) Like GT Newbie said, have the dealer install it, have it under warranty and avoid removing/installing when going to the dealer (it actually takes about 15 minutes to remove or install the Steeda intake with the stock air tube, so if you know how to handle a screw driver it's really not a problem)

Well, I do know HOW to handle a screwdriver, but unfortunately I'm one of those people with two "left" hands, and almost always manage to BREAK whatever I try to "fix" (just ask my wife- LOL),
so it would be really unwise of me to try and remove or install anything on my car (I kid you not!).

- the FRPP tune is designed for 91 octane, so if you can get 93 octane you'll get more performance out of a mail-order or custom tune.

Actually, the FRPP tune is designed for 91+ octane, and even has a sticker on the heat-shield to that effect.
They told me at the dealer that for best results I should always use 93 octane, but IF I was only able to get 91 octane gas (like in Cali), then it would still work without "pinging".

To each its own [8D]

AGREED...!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Rat GT
2nd Gear Member

As much as I like the C&L/Diablosport combo, I think I'll go with the Ford setup strictly due to the warranty issue.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:27 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Lots of buck for no bang.
You have to give some effort to get the boost.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Lots of buck for no bang.
You have to give some effort to get the boost.

How do you know there's "no bang"? Have you tried it out on your own car?

When she was stock I couldn't lay rubber at all from a dig (700 r.p.m. idle start), and now I squeal my tires every single time!
The shift points have also been improved and firmed (6250 redline now instead of the stock 6000), and throttle lag has been MUCH reduced!

As for "lots of buck"- I paid a grand total of $1362 which included labor and 7% Jersey tax, and that includes those fabulous GTA axelbacks with 4" double-walled tips.
I don't think that was "lots of buck" for what I got at all, especially considering that it came with the full 3 year factory warranty, and neither does JimsGT, who's delighted with the FRPP too!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

stock rev limiter is 6250
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matt07GT

Is this kit any good? Opinions please......
I picked up .3 in the quarter with just the tuner and a K&N filter. I'm not sold on CAI yet. i had a Roush on my 01 and it didn't make much difference. dI know everyone will have a different opinion.

Quick Reply: FORD CAI/Tune