MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Installing Stripes, Any tips? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/375845-installing-stripes-any-tips.html)

jaxbelleil 11-28-2007 07:26 PM

Installing Stripes, Any tips?

I am installing factory stripes tomorrow, I have never done any body work. But they came with instructions from Ford. Any tips I should follow, (metalic Silver kit) the color looks great on the black. I can't wait till tomorrow. PSI would do it right now , but I have 4 papers due tomorrow and two tests, I know someone would ask why I am not working on it right now.. this would be my first body mod on the car.. many more to come .. Thank you

mlcrycc 11-28-2007 07:37 PM

RE: Installing Stripes, Any tips?

Yeah, go to the Baltimore Street Mods site, read their instructions for the specifc style of stripes you bought, and follow them.....

Take your time, don't rush...

Try to find a buddy to help. Extra pair of hands will come in handy...

As much as possible, use the roller squeegee as opposed to the fixed blade sqeegee....

Mix up plenty of wetting solution, and use the hell out of it.....

jaxbelleil 11-28-2007 07:49 PM

Umm intresting , what kind of roler I should buy? like a paint one , that has a soft rim or a wood one like the walpaper one. I asked my lil brother help tomorrow (he payed for the stripes) and my best friend should help me(I was scared to do it myself).

mlcrycc 11-28-2007 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

Umm intresting , what kind of roler I should buy? like a paint one , that has a soft rim or a wood one like the walpaper one. I asked my lil brother help tomorrow (he payed for the stripes) and my best friend should help me(I was scared to do it myself).
Actually it is a hard rubber roller on one end, and a straight edge rigid squeegee on the other. It was included with the BSM stripe kit, so I really do not know where they can be purchased....

Let me know if you desparately need a pic of it, and I will snap one real quick an load it....

jaxbelleil 11-28-2007 08:05 PM

umm, how wide was it? if you have a chance to snap a pic of it that would be a life saver. I could take the pic to a local body shop and see if they would seel me one.. weird why would Ford only send me some plastic that look like mixing pad.. lol

05gtdriver 11-28-2007 08:11 PM

You need to use a hardacrylic type of burnisher(printing term for a roller squeegee).
Go to an art supply store to get one. I just removed(pain in the arse) my deck-lid, rear spoiler and roof stripes and replaced them with new ones due to spotting from BSM(free of charge).
The key is to keep everything wet and apply the stripes in higher than 65 degree weather. The factory stripes are just the hood, roof and deck-lid, right? All flat surfaces and pretty straight forward to install. Just be VERY patient, allow the stripes to dry before removing the top paper(be careful, if installing outdoors, to not apply the stripes on a windy day as dust, dirt and other things will get onto the sticky surface onceyou remove the backing paper). Run your hands over the stripes as you burnish/squeegee the top paper to feel for air bubbles, use a hair dryer to aid with "pulling" the stripes into position if you aren't getting the desired results. Good luck.

jaxbelleil 11-28-2007 08:26 PM

Thank you , your making me think twice about installing them myself.. umm

mlcrycc 11-28-2007 08:30 PM

Here's a couple of pics for ya. These are the ones that were included from BSM. When you need to use the regular fixed blade squeegee, don't use the one on the end of the roller squeegee. It's way too rigid...use the one on the left......

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/9C8FD7EE3B574B0AB89F9936A78D7D74.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/C8F5FBC8104D4B7080DD8E89034784F8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/8C2046EF3BF542FC81802B8B2228D5D8.jpg[/IMG]

jaxbelleil 11-28-2007 08:38 PM

sweet man, thanks for the pic's

GTstangB.F.D.M. 11-28-2007 11:19 PM

good thread.. *BOOKMARKED*

do they give you the wetting solution?