Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius, or XM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default Sirius, or XM?

I've been contemplating buying a new radio for my GT, since the stock one isn't the greatest...I currently have XM, and WANTED to stay with them, but every time I look around to try to find the cables that will match up to the aftermarket stereos, NOBODY has them in stock!

However, every time I look at the aftermarket stereos that have Sirius, I see a LOT of the kits available from various places. It kind of makes me wonder if they're worse than XM or not, so I figured I'd ask people here what selections they like better, since I'm sure there are some of you who have the Sirius with the factory Shakers, and some of you who have the Sirius with aftermarkets...

Just looking for your opinions on it, and if there is anyone who has both, which one do you like better?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sirius, or XM?

They have merged, and are now one company.... Still have seperate stations I think, but eventually that too shall change I would think
Old 11-28-2007, 10:43 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I know they merged, but I'm thinking about switching from XM to Sirius because I can't find any equipment for the new XM Direct 2 hardware to connect to the aftermarket radios.

Frickin' Audiovox is the one making the cables to go from the aftermarket head units to the XM Direct 2 hardware, and they don't have ANY cables available ANYWHERE, nor have they had them available for over a month. I'm wondering if I should just hold my breath and wait for the XM stuff to show up, and keep my account active, or cancel it and go to an aftermarket head unit with Sirius.

I'm just curious as to what most people think of Sirius, though, and their choice of music/entertainment stations...
Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

oh sorry, read the post a little fast. Well personally, I love XM, though I don't currently have it in my Mustang. However, I really don't care for Sirius; because where I live, there are no country stations, and that is what I listen to. XM has great country and other assorted entertainment, stand-up and sports. Having said that, a friend of mine has a Jeep with Sirius, and to be honest, I really don't care for it. Just dont pay the bill for a month or two, you'll be able to find them online I'm sure. Then get it and pay up and it'll start back up.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 PM
SUPRA88
1st Gear Member

I like xm better but next year we are going to have all the channels from sirius in diferent plans
i also hear a lot that the young people prefer sirius because there are music or channels for them, i am in my 40s so i don't know about that

I KNOW THIS, THERE ARE A LOT OF CABLE AND INTERFACES that you can use
what car stereo are you trying to use ?
what sirius sat radio ? maybe i can help you
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I'd originally wanted to go with this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...00&tp=5684

And then I saw this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...02&tp=5684

The Kenwood one I liked better because of the less expensive iPod USB interface.

I originally wanted to go with the XM satellite radio, but nobody has the interface cables for either the JVC-to-XMDirect2 or the Kenwood-to-XMDirect2. And the maker of said cables? Audiovox. Not exactly the world's most trusted name.

I suppose I could just keep my old Delphi SkyFi and connect it via an AUX input on the radio, but that's what I've got right now, and I can't see the face of the radio to see who's playing or what the name of the song is, because I have to keep it in the console. I used to have it on a windshield mount, which tore off, and then on an adhesive mount stuck between the two center vents, which peeled off roughly 3 weeks later due to excessive heat. I want to go with it directly controlled from the head unit now...

I'd go with an AVIC, but I don't have $1000 to drop on the unit and add on satellite tuner.

I just hate to give up the XM, but if I can't ever find a cable that works, I might end up switching to Sirius...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Having had both, i like Sirius MUCH better. Just about any kind of music you can want, football, CNN, Weather, Maxim Radio, Comedy..
Old 11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

you didnt look very hard, look in the hands on for both and it will tell you exactly what product to buy for the XM connectivity....
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I've never had XM, only Sirius since June when I bought the Stang. Almost 6 months andover 11,000 miles on the Stang, I can honestly say that there are 3 or 4 stations I found that "do it for me", even on a 13 hour ride.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT Bob

Having had both, i like Sirius MUCH better. Just about any kind of music you can want, football, CNN, Weather, Maxim Radio, Comedy..
+1 The only thing better on XM is the Comedy channels

Quick Reply: Sirius, or XM?