Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More HP?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:16 PM
curtishd
1st Gear Member

Default More HP?

How can I get more HP from a GT (without buying a supercharger)? I was looking at the K and N air intake system, how easy is it to install, does it affect warranty, and do you have to calibrate anything once insalled,and can you really feel the ~20hp increase?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More HP?

No one wants to help you? Well, I'll tell you what most people say. Get a CAI and tune. "It will wake your car up." I wouldn't know, but everyone else can agree on this. It's a good starting point.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

An intake is a great place to start. Most here would recommend getting either a C&L or a JLT II and a tune. Both of these are great, but I am partial to the Modular depot intake. Pullies, and CMCV delete plates are usually the next step.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

The intake alone won't do much, you should really think about a tune.
And exhaust.
And to feel the power, maybe some gears.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

www.brenspeed.com ......Look up intakes with tunes....I recommend a JLT 2, C&L or a Steeda....They will all put out about the same HP increase
Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Intake and tune. thats usually step one. Their are alot of bolt ons that people have tried and tested.

Under drive pullies. Doesnt add HP, but lets more of the engine Hp get to the ground.
Long tube headers, Catted H pipe, Axle backs.
Gears (read end)
Short throw shifter

I think people are seeing what 360ish, with full bolt ons?.. can get upto 400ish with Cams and some engine work.. I dont know of much more then that without Forced Induction.

Good luck with the process.. Take pics and all that jaz =)
Old 12-01-2007, 11:48 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Others will sway you to other companies for the CAI. I had the K&N and had no problems installing it and did NOT notice any gains until I got it dyno tuned. So I would go out and buy a CAI and tune from any of our sponsors. They have great reviews and by far the bigest bang for the buck when combined with gears as well. JMO J

Welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: curtishd

How can I get more HP from a GT (without buying a supercharger)? I was looking at the K and N air intake system, how easy is it to install, does it affect warranty, and do you have to calibrate anything once insalled,and can you really feel the ~20hp increase?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 PM
curtishd
1st Gear Member

I am new to all this car stuff. What is meant by a tune? If by tune you all mean an adjustment or some sort then can I do it my self? Also if I buy a CAI like a K&N do I have o get a tune or what?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

installed c&l intake with tune & underdrive pulleys will cost you $600-$700
but worth every penny
Old 12-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: curtishd

I am new to all this car stuff. What is meant by a tune? If by tune you all mean an adjustment or some sort then can I do it my self? Also if I buy a CAI like a K&N do I have o get a tune or what?
The Stang is controlled by the ECM (computer). The "tune" is basically installed via a plug in (XCAL2, Diablo, etc.) into the OBD port under the dash. It'll upload your stock 87 octane tune, clear the ECM and then download 1 of typically 3 tunes. The vendor that supplies you the tuner (Brenspeed, BAMA, for example) will supply your tunes based on what mods you have and what octanes are available. Most people get their CAI and tune as a combo package since most of the better CAI's require a tune.