Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on new mustang order

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Advice on new mustang order

if your even questioning 6 versus v8 then i say go for the v8...you wont be sorry. but you might be later if you buy the 6. just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scott0468

[blockquote][align=left]I am going to place an order for a new mustang some time after the first of the year and can`t decide between a v6 or gt. I drove a gt but can`t find a v6 with a stick to drive. I did drive a auto v6 for a week on vaction and found it lacking somewhat. Keep in mind I drive a truck for a living=6 points and I lose my job so the performance of the gt will not be fully utilized. I guess what I would really like to know how many have bought a v6 and then wished you bought a gt? Any suggestions for good looking int/ext combinations would be nice. [/align][align=left]Thanks Scott[/align][/blockquote]
1st IMO, you can get into trouble equally as quick in a V-6 given the fact that it's as fast as the mid 90's GTs(0-60 mid 6s, 1/4m low 15s), so that argument is moot. Self-control is what needs to be done when having a fast car, I too drive a large truck for a living and I can't afford to jeopardize my job with silly speeding tickets. I nearly bought a V-6 back in '05(thinking I'd save a little cash and have the latest Mustang), but for the extra $4.5K the GT I eventually bought cost, I never, ever regretted doing it(in fact, for myself, I would have looked at every GT in envy had I bought the sixer, nothing against it, but everyone is entitled to their preference, and mine was to get a V-8 Mustang). Many people have said over, get what you really want(and can afford), because if you don't, you'll have a car payment and won't be as happy as you should be.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

I test drove the 5psd 6cyl, and to be honest it is 100% different then the GT. The suspension felt different, the clutch was over sensitive, it felt gutless at low end, I had to rev it decent to take off vs the v8 I barley have to touch the gas.

I couldn’t be happier with my GT, the growl of the v8, the ride, I like the fogs, the subtle GT badges.

Every persons opinion is different, im sure there are some that swear by the v6 model. Its rare to hear "I wish I wouldn’t have gotten the GT" however you do hear "I kind of wish I would have gotten the GT".

V6 pro's : The common public can’t tell the difference between a GT or a "pony package"
They look very similar, just small badge differences

v8 pro's : The smile you get every time you hear that v8 growl!
The sheer speed/power/handling

I think the gas mileage is very similar to boot..

My vote 100% go for the GT... However I’m a GT owner so my opinion could be a lil bias
I recommend to Test drive till your 100% sure on your purchase.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

this pretty much sums it up.....

ORIGINAL: ZZLEGEND

if your even questioning 6 versus v8 then i say go for the v8...you wont be sorry. but you might be later if you buy the 6. just my opinion.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:43 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

get the GT or u will regret it, I can sense it already with my crystal ball [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 12-04-2007, 10:45 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the GT starts off w/ 80 more hp. and after that mod for mod it will gain more hp. if you are going to spend 20+k on a new car, spend a little more and get a faster one.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I told my salesman I wanted to test drive both a V6 and a GT when I was shopping for my Mustang. I tested a GT first. When I got back to the dealer after testing the GT the salesman asked if I was ready to test the V6 and I told him I was buying the GT. After that drive I knew I wouldn't be happy with a V6. I think you need to test drive as many as you can until its clear in your mind what you really want. As someone said before, you can get in trouble with a V6 as easily as you can with a GT so I wouldn't base my choice on that.

I hope you make the right choice. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I am surprised at all the honest answers. The only thing I would have done different was, I wish I had gotten the CS.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:49 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

thanks for the reply The thing is I really love the look of the v6 ,seems more retro to me But after driving a gt that was a whole lot of fun. I am thinking that a v6 with a stick might be a good choice. The look I love and a stick makes any car more fun. It would be nice to drive one but they seem to be hard to come by where I live.

What do you meana V6 is more retro? Do you mean the power reminds you of the 210 HP 289's and 302's?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:59 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

thanks for the reply The thing is I really love the look of the v6 ,seems more retro to me But after driving a gt that was a whole lot of fun. I am thinking that a v6 with a stick might be a good choice. The look I love and a stick makes any car more fun. It would be nice to drive one but they seem to be hard to come by where I live.
What do you meana V6 is more retro? Do you mean the power reminds you of the 210 HP 289's and 302's?
He means the looks ... Mustang GT's basically have an aero body kit on them from the factory ... V6 bodies are rounded off in the front and back like the valances on 60's Mustangs ...

And the 210HP 4.0 is quite a bit more powerful than the 210HP 302's of yesteryear ... When those 210HP were converted to the currentNET HP starting in 1972instead of Gross HP in prior years... they were rated more like 140 to 160 HP ...

Quick Reply: Advice on new mustang order