Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bunch of idiot questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Default A bunch of idiot questions...

Im new to the whole modding idea, and i like it. Ive learned quite a bit, but not nearly as much as 99.99% of you guys know. It would help if you guys could tell me what the following did, and how much they cost with installtion, or if its an easy task to do by yourself (i have a friend who know alot about cars who can help) .. anyway, here goes...

1) Charge motion delete plates
2) Underdrive Pulleys
3) Speed of sound switch plate
4) 4.10's (i know they increase acceleration lol)
5) IUP

...im sure theres more, but thats all i can remember for now. Thanks guys.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A bunch of idiot questions...

1) Charge motion delete plates

These are a set of valves in each intake runner that improves fuel economy and low end torque. At low RPMs the valves are close leaving about 1/4 of the intake runner open, at high RPMs the valves open completely. Even when the valves are open they have a small cross-section. Eliminating these valves will give you a few extra horsepower at higher RPMs but will cost you some fuel economy and possible a little low end torque. Delete plates require a tune, so you will need a tuner and a tune or else your car will not run right.

These are pretty easy and straight forward to install. I don't do much work on my car but even I was able to install these without a problem. I was told that these would cost about $150 to install.

2) Underdrive Pulleys

An underdrive pulley will replace the pulley on your crankshaft with one that is smaller in diameter. This will cause all the accessories (aircon, alternator, power steering) to run slower and thus freeing up some horsepower. You will get an oversized waterpump pulley so the waterpump still operates at the normal speed. No tune is required with underdrive pullies.

Although they seem easy to install, I was not able to install these on my own because I could not get the crankshaft bolt off. You may have better luck if you have better tools than I did, which you probably do. I paid $90 to have mine installed

3) Speed of sound switch plate

This is a switch plate that you can install in the center cup holders that can house 4 switches and a gauge.

If you're comfortable with car electrics, you could try this on your own.

4) 4.10's (i know they increase acceleration lol)

These are the gears in your differential, a higher gear ratio such as 4.10 will make all your gears shorter which will make you accelerate quicker. With a higher differential ratio, you will be turning more RPMs when you're on the highway, thus costing you some fuel economy. You will need to have your speedometer recalibrated, you can do this yourself if you have a tuner.

Get these professionally installed.

5) IUP

Interior Upgrade Package, this is a interior package that you can order with a Mustang. I can't remember all that comes included with it, maybe somebody else can fill this in.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Waht he said!!! LOL
Old 12-03-2007, 08:29 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Wow. Thanks so much man. I feel like an idiot about the IUP
Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Thanks for asking this man!
I was wondering myself about the underdrive pulleys and delete plates.
They don't sound too appealing to me though. I like low end torque and I like high powered air conditioning on hot days. [8D]
Sounds like you give up some stuff to gain some stuff. Doesn't seem worth it to me, i'd rather save for an s/c!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:14 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07BLACKGT

Thanks for asking this man!
I was wondering myself about the underdrive pulleys and delete plates.
They don't sound too appealing to me though. I like low end torque and I like high powered air conditioning on hot days. [8D]
Sounds like you give up some stuff to gain some stuff. Doesn't seem worth it to me, i'd rather save for an s/c!
I went from a canned Diablosport tune to a Bamachips race tune and the delete plates and I did not notice any loss in low end torque. So if you're going from a stock car, to one that has delete plates, intake, and tune; you will not notice the difference. I was worried too about my aircon and accessories not working properly after the UDP, but I've read many people from southern states say that the aircon works just as good with the UDP than it does without them.

I'm absolutely loving my car now with all these mods, the power seems to come on at about 2000rpm now where as before it wouldn't until 3000-3300rpm. I would gladly line up next to any stock Shelby GT or Roush Stg1 or 2.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

I think shelby gt's are the biggest rip off. I dont understand how 17 hp could be worth like 5k more? W/e though. Im probably going with the 3.73s,and some UDP next.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you haven't done it yet, I'm pretty sure most S197 guys will agree that the best first mod you can do for these cars is a CAI and a tune.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

If you haven't done it yet, I'm pretty sure most S197 guys will agree that the best first mod you can do for these cars is a CAI and a tune.
+1

+30hp for $600
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 PM
akumaky
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

unless you are getting a s/c that seems to be what people always do first.

Quick Reply: A bunch of idiot questions...