Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound

ORIGINAL: Casper98GT

Well, first this transmission is a TR3650... Same as before in the 01-04 Mustangs... BUT its not shifted from the top of the transmission. Its a rod connected to the shifter. If youre ever under check it out. Its MUCH different feeling than ealier Stangs. Also, its not like youre Eclipse. So dont even try to compair. As far as the noise i have heard it in all 05s that have been broken in, weather its 500 miles or 4500 miles. You REALLY have to understand whats going on in this New transmission to get why its clunking. I wish i had pictures so i could explain whats going on but i dont. AND if you test drive these BRAND new 05's they might not make a noise and you will be a huge burden on the dealership. But if you are really concerned with this noise then keep on going at it, you might even get a rep from ford to tell you what i just did
Casper, what kind of manual transmissions were there in a 92 and 95 top of line mustang?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:27 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

Ok, I test drove another GT today. It too went clinckity click, clunk clunk. I think some 05 sound that way and others don't. I think, had the first two 05 GT's I tested weeks ago sounded like that, I'm sure I would have noted the sound.

What a bad match of a crappy and cheap transmission to a great sounding engine and great looking car. The shifting should be solid, planted and tight. I now remember driving behind an 05 GT while on my moped months ago and noticing how cheap the transmission sounded. Yep. I could hear it clunking from my moped. It sounded like they should get it checked.

I found a site where emails from Ford employees were leaked out onto the internet. Not sure if all are true, but I know for CERTAIN one is: "D.) It's not the same trans that's in the 03/04 Mach or cobra. 6 speed? The shifter in the manual feels like crap."

more interesting stuff from the page here

http://forums.stangnet.com/archive/i.../t-394881.html
Old 03-13-2005, 10:38 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

HEY CASPER, I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE 05 COMES WITH A SHORTENED THROW SHIFTER....IS THAT TRUE? ALSO THE CLUNKING IN MINE "FEELS" LIKE ITS COMING FROM THE DRIVESHAFT, THOUGH I MAY BE MISTAKEN. BUT YOU THINK A SHORT THROW WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM?
Old 03-13-2005, 11:23 PM
MorningCruiser

It isn't a crappy transmission. It's the same transmission as used prior I believe (not sure, I forget). Almost no new transmissions could ever be considered crappy.

Ever been in an old truck? They clunk, but you could shift it as hard as you want and you'd never hurt anything.

Often in newer vehicles they allow slop in the shifter if it is NOT a toploader (which this new transmission setup isn't) so that if you do shift it like an *******, it will not damage the shift linkage. Get a tighter aftermarket short shifter, I believe Steeda makes one (could be wrong).

Shifting hard isn't a sign of good shifts, I can shift a Ferrari with one finger and have firm shifts. I don't need to use my full hand to shift agressively, I definetely don't need to slam the shifter to shift agressively. The faster/harder you shift, the more damage you do to the synchros, the transmission (yes, it does damage the transmission itself, as when you do this it forces it to MOVE violently, if you don't believe me, get someone into the car and get them to slam the shifter back and forth in and out of gears while you watch from underneath), and the shift linkages.

It isn't an old T5 transmission in a Jeep CJ, it's not meant to be driven like it's a battle tank. Try shifting softer, OR get a short shifter and don't shift so hard period.

And I have no idea what you drove before, but all my "ricer" friends have a particular habit of shifting harder than I would ever. They can make their entire car rock from how hard they shift because they do not know that shifting hard doesn't mean a faster/better shift. Shifts should be fluid motion, not as William Hung would say "BANG BANG BANG!"
Old 03-13-2005, 11:37 PM
RiceRocketToMustang

What would I tell a Ford Tech to do in order to get rid of the clunking? Tell him to install Short throw shifters and tighten it up? Something tells me they're going to think I'm crazy. Is it expensive to have it done? Also, would having a non ford authorized shop do the anti clunking work void the Ford warranty?

I test drove my last 05 GT today. I noticed that different 05 GT's have different levels of the noise. Today's GT wasn't as noisy as mine, but quieter than the one I drove yesterday. Gear felt tighter too.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:57 PM
dukenitro
1st Gear Member

Your clunking is normal. I have the same problem and I know how to drive. This is my 6th Mustang.

Also, if you can look at the top of the tranny you would see the shifter mechanism connects in a VERY CRAPPY way to the back of the case. It just plain stinks. The only thing you can do is buy an aftermarket short throwshifter. My dealer has an 05 stripped apart and supercharged and roll cage, etc. They were in Florida all weekend Drag racing this modified beast. All of the original parts are in a pile on the floor and he showed me the tranny hookup we speak of and you can clearly see it sucks.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: MorningCruiser

It isn't a crappy transmission. It's the same transmission as used prior I believe (not sure, I forget). Almost no new transmissions could ever be considered crappy.

Ever been in an old truck? They clunk, but you could shift it as hard as you want and you'd never hurt anything.

Often in newer vehicles they allow slop in the shifter if it is NOT a toploader (which this new transmission setup isn't) so that if you do shift it like an *******, it will not damage the shift linkage. Get a tighter aftermarket short shifter, I believe Steeda makes one (could be wrong).

Shifting hard isn't a sign of good shifts, I can shift a Ferrari with one finger and have firm shifts. I don't need to use my full hand to shift agressively, I definetely don't need to slam the shifter to shift agressively. The faster/harder you shift, the more damage you do to the synchros, the transmission (yes, it does damage the transmission itself, as when you do this it forces it to MOVE violently, if you don't believe me, get someone into the car and get them to slam the shifter back and forth in and out of gears while you watch from underneath), and the shift linkages.

It isn't an old T5 transmission in a Jeep CJ, it's not meant to be driven like it's a battle tank. Try shifting softer, OR get a short shifter and don't shift so hard period.

And I have no idea what you drove before, but all my "ricer" friends have a particular habit of shifting harder than I would ever. They can make their entire car rock from how hard they shift because they do not know that shifting hard doesn't mean a faster/better shift. Shifts should be fluid motion, not as William Hung would say "BANG BANG BANG!"
Thanks for being so thorough with the info. I think I"m ok with the shifting by not being too hard with it. I'll try it next time I drive it. But, what the hell is Ford doing putting a transmission that sounds and functions like an old truck in a $30k+ Mustang? I understand that Ford wanted to go Retro, but we could have done without the Retro transmission. I can't recall ever hearing a transmission like this on any NEW car.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: dukenitro

Your clunking is normal. I have the same problem and I know how to drive. This is my 6th Mustang.

Also, if you can look at the top of the tranny you would see the shifter mechanism connects in a VERY CRAPPY way to the back of the case. It just plain stinks. The only thing you can do is buy an aftermarket short throwshifter. My dealer has an 05 stripped apart and supercharged and roll cage, etc. They were in Florida all weekend Drag racing this modified beast. All of the original parts are in a pile on the floor and he showed me the tranny hookup we speak of and you can clearly see it sucks.
I have an appointment to take it in tomorrow..

1. So I just tell the Ford tech to install Short throw shifters and tighten it up?

2. Do you know if it's time consuming (take transmission apart) and expensive to do?

3. When I pick up the car will the transmission no longer clunk and will the shifts feel tight?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:31 AM
MorningCruiser

ORIGINAL: RiceRocketToMustang

Thanks for being so thorough with the info. I think I"m ok with the shifting by not being too hard with it. I'll try it next time I drive it. But, what the hell is Ford doing putting a transmission that sounds and functions like an old truck in a $30k+ Mustang? I understand that Ford wanted to go Retro, but we could have done without the Retro transmission. I can't recall ever hearing a transmission like this on any NEW car.
Actually, it isn't a retro transmission, retro would've been an old toploader.

The transmission is shorter, the shifter is further back, this means that the shifter cannot go directly into the transmission without very awkward shift angles (this is why you see bizzarely shaped shifters in pickups).

You're never going to have Ferrari style transmission precision, the tranny in the Mustang doesn't even cost $2500. A Ferrari transmission costs over $20,000 for THEM to make, you'd pay over that.

You simply have to understand that unless you want a VERY tough to shift transmission linkage from the factory (Ford doesn't want this, because the Mustang isn't targeted at 18 year old guys, this specific model is targeted at those who like the original Mustang look, obviously more of an older age bracket target), then you have to have slop.

If you get into a real race car, you'll see what I mean, it'll be a bitch to shift if you have no experience, you'll think you're going to break something because it has no synchros and sounds like a buzzbox from dog gears.
Also, the less slop you have, the harder it is to see what gear you're in, because less slop means less angle usually (usually), this is why high dollar euro cars have used euro-gates (an alum bezel instead of a rubber boot), so you can clearly see what gear you're in quickly checking.

Realistically, it's not crap, it's not garbage. Quite frankly, if you want a muscle car, or something powerful, but don't want to have any noise in it, save $200,000 and buy a Ferrari... To be entirely honest, anything that resembles a track car whatsoever makes more noise than you'll ever imagine. Imagine getting into a car and not being able to hear someone three inches from your ear. I know it's not a race car, but it's also not a Mercedes.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:55 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: MorningCruiser

ORIGINAL: RiceRocketToMustang

Actually, it isn't a retro transmission, retro would've been an old toploader.

The transmission is shorter, the shifter is further back, this means that the shifter cannot go directly into the transmission without very awkward shift angles (this is why you see bizzarely shaped shifters in pickups).

You're never going to have Ferrari style transmission precision, the tranny in the Mustang doesn't even cost $2500. A Ferrari transmission costs over $20,000 for THEM to make, you'd pay over that.

You simply have to understand that unless you want a VERY tough to shift transmission linkage from the factory (Ford doesn't want this, because the Mustang isn't targeted at 18 year old guys, this specific model is targeted at those who like the original Mustang look, obviously more of an older age bracket target), then you have to have slop.

If you get into a real race car, you'll see what I mean, it'll be a bitch to shift if you have no experience, you'll think you're going to break something because it has no synchros and sounds like a buzzbox from dog gears.
Also, the less slop you have, the harder it is to see what gear you're in, because less slop means less angle usually (usually), this is why high dollar euro cars have used euro-gates (an alum bezel instead of a rubber boot), so you can clearly see what gear you're in quickly checking.

Realistically, it's not crap, it's not garbage. Quite frankly, if you want a muscle car, or something powerful, but don't want to have any noise in it, save $200,000 and buy a Ferrari... To be entirely honest, anything that resembles a track car whatsoever makes more noise than you'll ever imagine. Imagine getting into a car and not being able to hear someone three inches from your ear. I know it's not a race car, but it's also not a Mercedes.
Yeah I see what you're saying. I guess I was just used to listening to a nicely 'planted' fast stick with no clunk in my 96 Eclipse GT turbo. Do all muscle car transmissions clunk like the mustang? Like trans ams, Pontiac GTO, corvettes, camaros, etc.?

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound