Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

Default 2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound

Is it normal for the transmission to have a clunking sound when coming out of gears on an 05 Mustang GT V8? It also does it if I come up slightly from the clutch.

I test drove two other 05 GT's at other dealers weeks ago and I don't remember hearing this sound. It just doesn't sound right. Now after driving it for two days, it doesn't feel right when shifting.

I told the salesman before I bought the car two days ago during a test drive about the noise and he said that it was normal. I asked to test drive another GT but they didn't have one. I also took it by the same dealer for another problem today and had them look at the transmission. The service manager heard the sound during a test drive with me and said his 05 mustang doesn't make that sound. Later he said it's probably the way I'm driving it.

I had a Mitshubishi Eclipse GST 5 speed manual so I do know how to drive a manual and never heard that sound from the transmission. I did see, from a distance, the repair person take down a dark gray or black tray section near the rear axle and was told that the Fuel Vapor Canister was loose and they insulated it and tightened it. It didn't help.

I plan to stop by another dealer this weekend and test drive another 05 GT to see if the trans makes the same noise. Any suggestions as to how to handle this problem if I don't hear the same noise coming from the car I plan to test drive?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

l
Old 03-11-2005, 12:20 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound

Mine sort of does it too. I thoght I was hearing a clunking noise most of the time I drove it. My 05 is the first stick car I have had in years. I decided that upon closer attention, that it is the drivetrain slack making its noise when it shift up, but come off the gas. I sort of don't speed the car up, at the time of the shift. The drivetrain "rpm" goes down instead of up, and I hrear that slack come out. If I make an effort to actually shift and continue constant acceleration, I don't hear it.

Maybe this theory is BS, I don't konw for sure. At 1100 miles, the car is running great, and doesn't do a bad, 0-60mph. She does this without sounding like she is a bout to break.

Enjoy your new ride !!!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:45 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

I'm going to try to drive it with feet of a beast tomorrow yet not too wildly since it's new. I guess that's how you're suppose to drive a Mustang.. Ya got ta drive a mustang hard and deep.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

You're supposed to beat 'em in.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Higgie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6

Oh YeaH, I waited until 1000 miles to really lean on her from take off (easy to launch, not trying to light up tires yet), that low gutteral growl, and quickness, has me hooked.

It's a real treat !!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

Ok I'll try that, but I'll know for certain when I test drive another.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:59 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

where's the delete button
Old 03-11-2005, 02:01 AM
RiceRocketToMustang

ORIGINAL: Higgie

ORIGINAL: sidewayz4.6

Oh YeaH, I waited until 1000 miles to really lean on her from take off (easy to launch, not trying to light up tires yet), that low gutteral growl, and quickness, has me hooked.

It's a real treat !!
What if you're in traffic? Don't you hear the clunking sound each time you accelerate slowly in traffic?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:06 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. DEALER SAID IT WAS NORMAL. IF I'M REAL SMOOTH WITH THE CLUTCH AND GAS IT DOSN'T DO IT. I'VE BEEN DRIVING MANUAL SINCE I WAS 16 AND HAVE NEVER HEARD A CAR DO THIS UNLESS MABEY A PERSON REALLY SUCKS AT SHIFTING. HMMM MABEY I NEED LESSONS LOL.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

That's totally normal. Consider that your sound having all that torque that you are an owner of now.

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Manual Transmission Clunking Sound