Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with CAI Choice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:54 PM
rap87
1st Gear Member

Default Help with CAI Choice

Hey guys my first post. I just recently sold my 96 C4 Vette (project gone bad), and traded in my 06 Harley on a 2008 Mustang GT Manual. Needed another form of transportation to get the Police Academy in Jan, while the wife goes to work in the opposite direction...bike wouldn't cut it. Anyway The Mustang is all stock except for 3.55 rear end gears upgraded, interior upgrade, and GT Appearance package. In doing a search on the forums the most popular mod for power seems to be the CAI/Tune. The most popular models being the C&L and JLT2, with tuners being B AMA and BrentSpeed. I've heard that the CL is better quality, with the JLT2 being a close second with better perfm...origininally I had my mind set on prolly the CL at brentspeed going with quality and apparently the great customer service at Brentspeed. However, I live in VaBeach, VA and found out that JLT is in Chesapeake, just one city over from me. Just wanting some opinions on the two...he also said he could get me a B AMA tune package at his shop...So anyway just looking for advice on the two, btw this is prolly the only mod I am going to get will a DYNO Tune really benefit me much since the CAI is all I'm getting? Lastly did the 08 model change much from the last year and so forth? Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-05-2007, 03:02 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help with CAI Choice

The C&L Racer intake is about the best intake out on the market, IMO.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

C & L and the JLT are really the only 2 to consider...

I chose the C&L racer..i agree with Thumper
Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

if you dont have other supporting mods like cmdps, full exhaust, etc., you wont see any benefits from the larger racer, it can actually decrease performance.

Now, on to your question. First of all, it is Brenspeed, just so you dont get confused when you go to type it into the address bar. Although the owner's name is brent. Between the two intakes, you arent going to notice any difference between them, so really go with what you think looks better, really just personal preference. And about the dyno tune, Brent at Brenspeed, Doug at Bamachips, and Justin at VMP are pretty much the best tuners around for the S197, and as such, a dyno tune isn't worth it for just an intake. They may be able to get a couple extra hp out of it, but it wont make a difference. Congrats on the new stang! The 08 did not change from the previous years, except for the options available. Cheers!
Old 12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Completely wrong...My car woke up..night and day..the only other mod ..if its a mod is Muffler removal...for SLP LM...I think many would disagree with your statement..

A CAI and a canned tune will give you more HP and performance..the throttle lag alone is worth it..A dyno i agree with just a CAI is not worth it..until you have more MODS
Old 12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torch red
Completely wrong...My car woke up..night and day..the only other mod ..if its a mod is Muffler removal...for SLP LM...I think many would disagree with your statement..
yes, the car will wake up, and it will drastically improve from stock...but you arent getting any more power, (maybe less) than a C&L street.

Original: Brenspeed
C&L has developed a racer system for those of you with highly modified Mustang GT's. If you need ultimate flow and all the weight savings you can get your hands on check out this package.
Of course it is an improvement over stock, but you simply dont need a 95 mm MAF housing for your intake if that is your only mod.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:34 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

VMP actually sells a smaller MAF housing with their C&L Racer intakes for that reason.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Oh man. the 2,467,982CAI question, its about what you plan on doing you could ask 15 different people and get 15 different answers. They all have huge benifit over stock. C&L, TI, Steeda, JLT....all make great products and to add to the the tune is needed as well. Good luck and maybe you could call the tuner you plan on have do the tune for more info.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:46 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

Since JLT is local to you and they can get the Breenspeed tune, go with them. That way, if you have any problems, you don't have far to go.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have the Steeda CAI and am very happy with it. They're all equivalent in performance. The real dif is the quality of the tune.

Quick Reply: Help with CAI Choice