MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Electric Mustang?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/378723-electric-mustang.html)

dferkler 12-06-2007 06:45 AM

Electric Mustang??

http://images.motortrend.com/feature...arter_view.jpg

American (Electric) Muscle: Ronaele Mustang 300E and HST Shelby Cobra EV300
By Rory Jurnecka
Photography by the author

If there's one thing musclecars get in the environmentalist circle, it's a bad rap. Known by many to be fuel-guzzling, oil burning, pollution factories, the stereotypes would have one believe eco-friendly and American Muscle aren't compatible phrases.Think again.The Ronaele Mustang 300E HST and Shelby Cobra EV300 are built to prove that electric vehicles aren't just good for the environment, but good for winning times on the race track as well. Each is powered by a 300kw electric motor derived from those used to power forklifts and modified to better suit a road car. Each is also capable of over 1000 lb-ft of torque, 300 horsepower, and a range of over 100 miles (as long as you don't indulge your right foot too much). At the track, both should be good for four to six full-throttle quarter-mile runs before they'll need recharging -- a process that takes approximately three hours to complete -- and both are capable of sub-four-second runs to 60 mph.[align=center]
[/align]But that's where many of the similarities end, as otherwise, the Ronaele Mustang 300E and HST Shelby EV300 are very different cars. The Mustang, for example, is, for all intents and purposes, able to be driven daily. Based on the current production Mustang, it features a stock interior right down to the factory cupholders. Modifications have been made, of course. A Ronaele front fascia has been added, along with the company's ducktail spoiler, upper and lower side scoops, and side skirts. A billet grille makes an aggressive impression up front, and the 20-inch Ronaele-designed chrome wheels add a bit of flash as they fill up the wheelwells. Twin racing stripes sweep down the middle of the car, just as many of the original GT500s featured, and high-intensity halogen foglights are added to the front air intake.Handling benefits from Ford
Racing springs, performance anti-roll bars, dampers, control arms, and caster plates and large Baer Racing brakes with drilled and slotted rotors haul the electric beast back down from speed. Still, you can think of the Ronaele as a well-designed tuner car -- equally happy bombing around the local road course or fetching groceries from the market.

http://images.motortrend.com/feature...arter_view.jpghttp://images.motortrend.com/feature...ngine_view.jpg

American (Electric) Muscle: Ronaele Mustang 300E and HST Shelby Cobra EV300
[align=center]
[/align][/align]

The Shelby Cobra EV300, as you may imagine, is a little more single-minded. Based on the classic AC Shelby Cobra of the 1960s, there's not a whole lot featured here that isn't absolutely keyed in on helping the driver go as fast as possible. For example, no radio, no cupholders -- heck, no side windows! But on the plus side, the carbon-fiber-bodied car weighs in at a featherlight 2375 pounds. This one is designed for the vintage enthusiast who always wanted a Shelby Cobra and thinks the idea of an electric version that can keep up with the gasoline-powered variant is pretty cool. It's a weekend toy and a track-day plaything. It's also likely to be a hit at your next local car show. The best part? It looks identical to the original, even down to the aluminum quick-fill, Le Mans-style fuel-filler cap. Flip it up, and you won't find a spot for the gas nozzle, but rather an electrical plug for charging.[/align]Amazingly, both of these cars have managed to take on very few of the shortcomings that typically plague vehicles with electric power conversions. Cargo capacity in both vehicles is hardly reduced, with batteries mounted underneath the trunks. Speaking of batteries, the Mustang's batteries and motor are actually lighter than a conventional gas tank and engine.[/align]
[align=center]
[/align][/align]Production on these cars is slated for early 2008. The HST Shelby Cobra EV300 will be sold in the U.S. and Europe, but only 10 examples will be offered stateside at $125,000 apiece in the initial production run. Ronale is planning on producing 800 copies of the Mustang 300E next year, with current capacity of around 1000 units annually. You'll need to supply them with a donor Mustang and $80,000 to get the build started.[/align]And what's in the future? Well, Ronaele already has plans for a 600kw version and ultimately, a 900kw Mustang. We can't wait.[/align]
[align=center]
[/align]

matt07GT 12-06-2007 06:58 AM

RE: Electric Mustang??

Wonder how much that pony would cost? It's a good idea that they are thinking about the future and the Mustang. Once gas hits $10 a gallon (if it does) than it looks like we still may have some options.

99flhr 12-06-2007 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: matt07GT

Wonder how much that pony would cost?
Accordinging to the last paragraph, in excess of 100K.[:o]

offrdmania 12-06-2007 10:45 AM

This technology is in its infancy and as it becomes more mainstream the price will drop. It is still a novelty and by being so the costs will be high

buffboettcher 12-06-2007 10:52 AM

-1 for electricity

gasoline ftw :D

banka87 12-06-2007 10:53 AM

But you don't get that V8 sound!

acascianelli 12-06-2007 11:03 AM

300kw = 402hp.
600kw = 804hp.
900kw = 1206hp.

05MustangSally 12-06-2007 02:35 PM

If I were rich, I would buy one in addition to my real gas powered Mustang. One for work or long trips and one for play lol ;)

Mustang Madness 12-06-2007 02:53 PM

That is sweet! I've got my down payment money waiting. Thinking my next mustang will be either:
1. A sweet electric or hybrid Mustang
2. A Mustang Diesel (SUV or Stationwagon)
3. A Mustang Bio-fuel
[sm=groupwave.gif] Let the good times roll!

VaporDude 12-06-2007 03:01 PM

Drag racing in the future is going to be very quiet. When I go to the drag strip, I want to hearandfeel some muscle.