Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Immediate Attention please!!! CAR TROUBLE

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:09 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

Default Immediate Attention please!!! CAR TROUBLE

I am a college student and I am getting ready to travel from the texas line to Florida for the Holiday Break. Tonight I was on my way to the store and my car turned over but it sounded as if it were barely running. It sounded as if it were running on only 3 cylinders( its a V6), I say this because I had a Motorcycle that I dropped and crunk like 1 month later and it only fired 1 half of the motor until it got warmed up and fired the other half. I have dual exhaust on my car that is loud as HELL and when I crunk my car it sounded like it was just getting enough air to stay alive. COULD IT BE BAD GAS? I had a cylinoid swap a few months back because my car would not shift right and it would take like 2-4 seconds to get into gear after being warmed up. I am very upset because I really want to go home for the break and I have 35,432 miles on my car and I think my warranty ends at 36K right? Anyway, when i cut my car off and tried to crank it again, it fired right up as if nothing was wrong but when i drove off it kind of had a lag to it as if it didnt want to take gas. Its been doing that but it was worse tonight. I plan to take it to the dealership this weekend but I think the parts department is closed on saturday. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone had this problem? I also have a brand new battery that isn't even 3 months old and it has 650 cranks. I have no sound system. Could it be my alternator?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:13 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Immediate Attention please!!! CAR TROUBLE

Don't know for sure, but my first guess would be bad gas. A little water in the gas can make a car run like poo. Did you fill up recently? If so, where?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

how many miles are on your car?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

All I know is to check your plugs.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

bad gas or fuel filter....clean the TB....make sure that the CAI is properly installed and there are no leaks
Old 12-07-2007, 10:15 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

I am not sure what it is, but it is definitely in your best interest to take it to the dealer. Explain in detail what the car is doing, what year is it btw. Has it done this before? Make them fix it before the warranty is up, otherwise you will be footing the bill. Best of luck, and sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

If it is water in the gas, the dealer won't do anything about it. However, you can easily siphon water out of your gas tank. Just remember that gas floats on water, so the water will be at the bottom of your tank. If you really want to find out if that's it before you take it to a dealer, you can take a sample from your tank - just try to get some from the bottom of the tank.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

Had the exact same problem in my last car. What really tipped me off that is was water in the fuel was the fact that it got much worse in right hand turns. Dealer wanted $400 to drain and clean my gas tank. Quick siphon had my car running like a champ in no time.
And I would steer clear of the "water removers" like Heet, Sea Foam, etc. They actually made my SRT-4 run worse...
Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

i recently got 6 dollars worth at a nearby gas station, and my car was almost on E and that took it to a Quarter. I do have a CAI and maybe its time for a cleaning.....but it only has about 5K miles on it. Can an alarm LED run down a battery in 3 months? And the nearest dealership is like 100 miles away in shreveport, La. dropping it off isnt a problem but getting it will be! Im STUCK UP **** CREEK WITH NO PADDLE!
Old 12-07-2007, 10:30 PM
ezell504
1st Gear Member

ANd just a useful peice of info, My car actually ran harder before I had the cylinoid change! It felt as if it were tuned compared to now!

Quick Reply: Immediate Attention please!!! CAR TROUBLE